desoldering multiple pin sockets, IC

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
is there a way to DE solder IC, sockets, connectors, transformers, etc. that have many pins all at the same time no wick, vacuum, etc. just heat all up at once? I have seen a few IC soldering tips, but would only do IC not relays, connectors, etc. I'm thinking maybe the ways the solder SMD parts would though. IR lamps, hot air stations. but also thought about how some people solder SMD using ovens, toaster ovens, etc. thinking toaster oven could do too put board upside down and turn on once solder melts think parts should just fall off it. some may need a pull or pry though use a long pliers or screwdriver to do that. Think may damage some ICs, transistors and other heat sensitive parts.
anybody know if any of these work, or of any other ways I didn't mention?
also would I have to worry about damaging any ICs, etc. doing this?

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
You can use special solder paste and a heat gun specially made for soldering. A long soldering tip can be placed across a row of pins for a SIP, or two tips and a friend can be used to desolder a DIP.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
If you are NOT trying to 'salvage' the old parts, but merely remove the part for replacement with a new/working one, I do this:

using a small wire cutter I snip away as much of the pins above the board as I can reach. This will destroy the old parts mounting pins and leave the board with just the pins embedded in the holes. Then I either individually heat each plated through hole with a soldering iron and 'whack' the board on the desk to dislodge the pins and solder, or I use a solder sucker device when I can't 'whack' the board because of possible damage to other parts.

The other method, is for cleaning up a board completely. It involves the use of a heat gun and the same 'whack' method.

saving/salvaging old parts from boards with plated through holes is a bitch. I've tried before and had only limited success. It is not money saving process, but a time killer. I will not do so unless there is NO other choice in the matter.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
If the component is a goner and in DIP package. You will do less harm to the board. If you cut the component free with a side cutter. And then remove the legs one by one. This method can also to some extent work on some SMD components. To salvage components but not the board(DIP). The best thing is to work in pairs. Secure the board in a vice. Then one person use a heat gun. And one person pull out the component. For larger components move the heat gun constant to spread the heat even. To some extent this may again also work on some SMDs

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
You can also grab the component with a small pair of pliers (don't touch the metal pins) then hit the component with a heat gun. SMD and DIP components easily separate as the board falls free.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
There are also "package" specific attachments for soldering irons or you can make your own to spread the soldering irons tip out wider to enable heating up all the pads at once.

An oven can also be used. But there are issues with that.. Like don't use your kitchen oven,etc... The heat profile must be proper,etc...

If just salvage... IMO the time spent to remove an IC and the risk of damaging it or the board is not worth it.. Just buy new parts if your time is worth anything. Sometimes being "cheap" is really just being "cheap"

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I ususally desolder to save a board rather than a component. Most recently I had to desolder because of a microcontroller programming mistake on an H-Bridge driver circuit. The MOSFET H-Bridge smoked but I didn't want to rebuild the board so I hit it with a heat gun and a new one was installed in 10 minutes.

Stuntman

Joined Mar 28, 2011
Desoldering can be an adventure. I used to spend some time scavenging parts. Some have been very useful, others not so much...

People have outlined much of what needs to be said. Realize one thing, getting parts off a lead free soldered board requires extra heat and induces extra headaches.

SMT parts are often easier than their throughole counterparts.