Designing with an ARM9 CPU

FrozenMel

Joined Aug 23, 2011
Hey,

I want to start moving into the world of micro controller systems design (0 experience), eventually, and hopefully quickly, moving up into designing with ARM9 style processors that will run full versions of Linux.

Ultimately, I want to be able to design micro computers similar to the RaspberryPI from the ground up.

I was recommended the AT91SAM9260 from ATMEL for my design but I don't know what I would be looking for in the processor. My first project would just need to handle: 2 usb, 2 RS-485, 1 10/100 Ethernet, SD card storage, and a vga screen (dvi in addition if possible)

Can anyone suggest any books/websites that could help me figure out what I need to know to make the chip function with a full version of Linux?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
For someone with 0 experience you are biting more than you can chew.
We usually start of with making an LED flash.
I would suggest starting off with something simple and there are lots to choose from, in no particular order of preference:

Atmel AVR
Freescale 9S08
Microchip PIC
TI MSP430 LaunchPad
Arduino

FrozenMel

Joined Aug 23, 2011
So I have done some work with PIC style micro controllers but that wasn't anything more than sending polled sensor data to a main uC for real time status monitoring (and eventually logging). In that project the uC was chosen for me as was it's communication bus to the main uC. Plus the usual MSP430 stuff but that really wasn't design, more programming for school.

What I don't know about is what I would need to get a full sized operating system installed onto a uC. Things like, outboard memory (type and communications), programming bus (could I use an imaged SD card or can I also use USB? how is that done?) that sort of thing.

FrozenMel

Joined Aug 23, 2011
have it. loaded xbian on it. played with it and turned it into a media center.

now I want to learn how to make something like it. I took a look at the schematics and understand them but my problem is that the Broadcom chip that it uses does everything, and I can't get full documentation on it.