Designing home made game wheel FF

rcarabaj

Joined Apr 10, 2005
Hello :)

I would appreciate any information about projects to built a force feedback driving wheel, capable to be used with modern simulators. I tried to find inventors or experimenters they have attempted it, but it seems to be a difficult matter.:eek:

Thanks for your attention. My best regards.;)
Roberto

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Here is a link to an explanation of how the technology works - http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/joystick8.htm

The motion commands seem to come over a USB cable. A dedicated driver seems necessary to transmit from the PC. If you can get information as to the codes/data sent out and program a microprocessor to translate them to the correct motions, then all you need is the interface to the motors that will make the wheel kick.

jj_alukkas

Joined Jan 8, 2009
Its easy to build electronic devices for computer, but the hard part is to find the right device drivers for windows. If it isn't a certified one, windows wont even show it on the games hardwares. And then games wont initialize it if windows doesnt take it. So be picky. It needs microcontrollers if they need to be able to be played with new games.

Another easier option if its just a wheel with force feedback is all you need would be to modify a cheap USB joystick with dual shock and analog and remap the analog controls to the wheel.

Steve C

Joined Nov 29, 2008
I've also noticed that force feedback tends to come with big bass. explosions, impacts, that sort of thing. You can easily install a speaker without na enclosure to whatever you'd like the feedback for (like a chair, for instance), hook it up to the sound card with a big amplifier. Without an enclosure it will produce little sound if any and provide a tactile sensation.

Assuming feedback is linked to low frequency program material in your game.