designing fpga for control heating system

culio347

Joined Nov 15, 2009
Hello everyone,
I am currently working on a project to build a prototype central heating controller by using an integrated circuit such as a Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA).

I am currently using a spartan 3 board as the FPGA, A PC and using xlinix to write the VHDL code.

The central heating controller is supposed to :

• run on a 7-day clock timer clock timer to switch the system on/off at specific times depending on the temperature of the room hence will support a thermostat that combines good temperature control.

• Have Over-ride functions included in it such as ON, OFF, and CANCEL and an easy to use interface is required for this functions to be effective

• User can enter on/off times and the temperature times on this system.

• Unauthorized users will be prevented from changing the settings

• In event of an error or unsual input, the system will display an error signal., e.g LED LIGHT UP

So my question is do I need to add any other components like transistors, diodes, thyristors etc to this Spartan 3 board(fpga) or everything is already included in the circuit OR all I have to do is program the vhdl to carry out this functions on the board?

If so how can I solve these tasks step by step. What do I need to implement apart from just the program coding?

Does anyone have any useful tips to help me carry out the above tasks on the FPGA?

any valuable answers will be deeply appreciated Thanks