designing driver driving a 12V motor by using pwm output from microcontroller 16f716

lokejeehan

Joined Jan 27, 2013
I am using 16f716 pic to give an output of pwm to the motor, I am considering of using L298 since it can support up to 2A.
My motor is 1.6A and 12V, is it possible to use transistor only to control the motor with respect to the PWM signal? I need help seriously

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Yes, a Mosfet transistor is normally used. Find one that can be controlled by logic level inputs and handle your current. Most common MOSFETS require 10 volts for a full "on" state so logic level (5 v) is required. If you have a 3 volt controller, you may need a bipolar transistor circuit to drive the mosfet.

tubeguy

Joined Nov 3, 2012
I am using 16f716 pic to give an output of pwm to the motor, I am considering of using L298 since it can support up to 2A.
My motor is 1.6A and 12V, is it possible to use transistor only to control the motor with respect to the PWM signal? I need help seriously
When designing a motor controller it's important to look at the motor's stall/startup current, because motors will draw much more current for a short time at startup or when stalled.

The repetitive peak current from the ST datasheet is 2.5 amps for one channel.

Mosfets have a very low on resistance which has the benefit of less voltage loss and less heat generated through the device.

Do you need to reverse the motor or just run one direction ?

lokejeehan

Joined Jan 27, 2013
When designing a motor controller it's important to look at the motor's stall/startup current, because motors will draw much more current for a short time at startup or when stalled.

The repetitive peak current from the ST datasheet is 2.5 amps for one channel.

Mosfets have a very low on resistance which has the benefit of less voltage loss and less heat generated through the device.

Do you need to reverse the motor or just run one direction ?
Hi, thank you for the advice, I am doing a rain sensing module so I can give the output to my car motor, the motor itself is connected with some mechanical part so I only need to control it in one direction.