Designing an end user appliance...

ScorpFire

Joined Jun 4, 2009
Hi guys i am designing an appliance and have some problem. My appliance will be plugged into the mains, like this

Now inside this box i have some circuits. Some of my circuits need a ground like this

Where can i connect this to? Can i connect it to the Earth wire on the 3pin plug? The green/yellow wire...

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
You should post some diagram of all the circuits, so that we can tell you how it should be connected.

Are those circuits of your design, or just some factory-made "standard" boards?

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
In the United States, the earth ground connection is used only as a safety ground. The green wire should, under normal operation, carry ZERO current. In the event of equipment failure, the green wire will insure that the case of the equipment will not assume a voltage level above ground potential.

ScorpFire

Joined Jun 4, 2009

Ok assume i have this circuit.

Im currently at home, i have a breadboard with all the components. I have a +5 voltage power supply, but where can i get a ground?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
If you are grounding the chassis of your appliance then it should be grounded to the earth ground. This is a safety feature.

If you are just trying to show a common connect point similar to ground (but not ground) I use a triangle that looks similar on my schematics.

Attachments