Designing a parallel programmer

gusmas

Joined Sep 27, 2008
So i want to play around with pics but i need a programmer to load the code onto the pic, is there maybe someone that can help me to get started on designing a pic programmer using a peralell port of a computer?

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
My advise to you is get a PICKIT 2 or 3. Do not waste your time on the other programmers. They only support a limited range of MCUs, they are not MPLAB compatible. And they do not have any debug support. Also with a PICKIT you will be up and running after installing MPLAB, and connecting the PICKIT to a USB port. If you build yourself the cost will be about the same amount as a PICKIT cost

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
True. I don't own the pickit, but I have built my own programmers and priced the pickits. You will want debugging as an option as it will allow you to "see" what is going on at any time with your code IN the chip. Else, if something doesn't work you have a few hundred lines of code to look through wondering what went wrong.

I have been using the EasyPIC6 for about a week now, and it has the as fore said options, but it is a lot of machine to get started on. However, it is rather beautiful, and will also help in development immensely.

The pickit can fit on a keychain, the EasyPIC barely fits on my bench. ;)