Designing A new Wasted Power Recovery system on gasoline vehicles

MADI1

Joined Aug 19, 2015
Perfect, why didn't you post this diagram in the first place?

I think, this diagram (apart from being very badly drawn) contains no useful information, whatsoever. It depicts a collection of undefined stuff connected by undefined links in a manner that makes no sense; so as a basis for progressing a viable design it is completely worthless.
OMG :eek:

Any way thanks for your time :)

Actually trying to pull that motional energy from your suspension is going to make the vehicles ride even worse. It will have the same effect as had you simply added heavier stiffer springs and harder damping shock absorbers to the vehicle which to be honest if small cars weren't already crappy riding making them have suspension as stiff as a empty 4 ton delivery truck will! :(

If you have access to a golf cart try stuffing the coil springs full of hard wrapped rags or putting hard rubber blocks between the frame and the leaf springs about half way between the axle connection points and the eyes on the end of the leaf springs. Thats what your ride will be like if you try and use that suspension energy for something other than letting the suspension do what it's supposed to do and absorb/control wheel and axle movement.
One from the previous researchs that I read on this idea, is one for General Motors ( The design is different but it's the same concept ) , they also used a ball-screw with motor to generate electricity from suspension movement .

Here the basic concept of the project : As we know the energy don't created nor destroyed, but it converted from shape to another, When the suspension moves with vehicle and absorb the shocks , heat will produce in the damper . and this heat will lost in the space ( Kinetic energy converted into heat energy ) .

Now why we don't create a system that can absorb this kinetic energy and convert it into useful power .

Thank you :)

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
I don't wish to be entirely negative so here is some constructive advice.

What is the purpose of a block diagram? It is to aid our (and other peoples) understanding and it is a tool for solving a problem. If your block diagram does not achieve this i.e. it is confusing, then more work is required, it will take many iterations before the optimal solution appears.

General rules for block diagrams:

1) Do not include trivial items e.g. fuses
2) Do not try and fit everything onto one diagram e.g. all energy sources (teg, turbine etc. can be considered to be identical, the details of what goes on in each unit should be the subject of other block diagrams)
3) Draw it in as simple a way as possible to avoid long links or crossing lines, where possible.

Things to think about to simplify the design:

1) consider how the devices or groups of similar devices on modern cars are managed and communicate (they each have their own microprocessors and communicate over a shared data bus)
2) consider how mains power generation and distribution systems work (all kinds of different systems e.g. solar, wind, hydro, nuclear, coal etc. feed power into the grid and each knows nothing about what any of the other systems is doing, they just control their own current to maintain a particular voltage at their outputs. The power grid can also be represented as a bus onto which things feed current).

MADI1

Joined Aug 19, 2015
I don't wish to be entirely negative so here is some constructive advice.

What is the purpose of a block diagram? It is to aid our (and other peoples) understanding and it is a tool for solving a problem. If your block diagram does not achieve this i.e. it is confusing, then more work is required, it will take many iterations before the optimal solution appears.

General rules for block diagrams:

1) Do not include trivial items e.g. fuses
2) Do not try and fit everything onto one diagram e.g. all energy sources (teg, turbine etc. can be considered to be identical, the details of what goes on in each unit should be the subject of other block diagrams)
3) Draw it in as simple a way as possible to avoid long links or crossing lines, where possible.

Things to think about to simplify the design:

1) consider how the devices or groups of similar devices on modern cars are managed and communicate (they each have their own microprocessors and communicate over a shared data bus)
2) consider how mains power generation and distribution systems work (all kinds of different systems e.g. solar, wind, hydro, nuclear, coal etc. feed power into the grid and each knows nothing about what any of the other systems is doing, they just control their own current to maintain a particular voltage at their outputs. The power grid can also be represented as a bus onto which things feed current).
These tips will be taken into account, and I will put the Whole PDF file of the project when it's done - after several months - .

Thank you so much :)

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Good luck. I think that, if we ignore for a moment the issue of viability, the means by which all of these devices are integrated and controlled makes for an interesting project.
I agree. That is why I told gage OP in post #2, you will learn a lot. People learn and remember most from mistakes and failures, not successes.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Here the basic concept of the project : As we know the energy don't created nor destroyed, but it converted from shape to another, When the suspension moves with vehicle and absorb the shocks , heat will produce in the damper . and this heat will lost in the space ( Kinetic energy converted into heat energy ) .

Now why we don't create a system that can absorb this kinetic energy and convert it into useful power .

Thank you :)
Most of it simply comes down to cost of manufacture VS rate of returns which is what I have been trying to point out. Despite the weight of a vehicle and the amount of suspension travel that may be going on very little energy is being wasted and converted into heat.

The suspension springs themselves are almost 100% efficient at capturing and returning kinetic energy which only leaves the losses associated with the dampening mechanisms which to be honest again for the amount of mass moving very little energy is being wasted there either. As I pointed out earlier drive you vehicle down a bumpy road then get out and feel your shock absorbers. For the amount of work being done by the suspension there is very little wasted energy being turned into heat in the shock absorbers.

Repurposing waste heat from the engine is well worth pursuing but for the most part the rest of your concepts will be expensive to implement and maintain while providing very little usable returns for the money spent.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Doesn't this thread come close to violating if not violate the TOS? Anything you add to a vehicle to get more electrical power from it is going to create losses in fuel economy. If not directly, at least by added weight. This thread reminds me of the one that the guy wanted to use a light bulb powered by the battery to charge the battery using a solar cell, from a few years ago.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Doesn't this thread come close to violating if not violate the TOS? Anything you add to a vehicle to get more electrical power from it is going to create losses in fuel economy. If not directly, at least by added weight.
I see no issues. Nothing overunity by any means and how exactly do you quantify the fuel efficiency impacts of adding say 50 pounds of equipment to a 2000+ pound vehicle VS having a driver that 150 pounds Vs 200 pounds or driver against the wind Vs with the wind?

I for one have never seen any vehicle so pathetically underpowered as to have its fuel economy drastically affected addition or loss 50 pounds of weight but I have driven ones that a 5 - 10 MPH wind speed change made a very noticeable change in fuel efficiency.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
Aside from aerodynamics, I believe the biggest efficiency losses are to heat and unburned fuel out the exhaust. I suspect that the more efficient way to capture the heat energy lost to the exhaust is with a turbine, such as a turbo charger with the compressor stage replaced with an alternator, and a bypass valve (waste gate) for the driven side for when you want to bypass the turbine for whatever reason. Formula 1 does something along these lines with their ERS:

https://www.formula1.com/content/fo...anding-f1-racing/Energy_Recovery_Systems.html

If you want to recover the heat as mechanical energy, instead of an alternator just connect the turbo output shaft to a gear drive that adds power directly to the crankshaft. This is done on several diesel engines. When they have both a regular turbo for compressing air, AND a turbo that delivers energy direct to the crankshaft I think they call it compound turbo (food for google). They touch on it in this brochure from Detroit Diesel, I'm sure there's a better explanation somewhere:

https://www.demanddetroit.com/pdf/engines/2007-dd15-brochure.pdf

The radiator also wastes an enormous amount of energy as raw heat, the difficulty there is it's at a relatively low temperature so I'm not sure how you would recover it to reuse it.... Maybe some sort of thermo-electric device would work here?

Cars are better about passing unburned fuel these days, but if you could somehow capture the heat generated by the burning of these gasses in the catalytic converter then maybe that would lead to significant recovery. Maybe it's worth a shot moving the catalytic converter closer to the engine and insulating the pipes (to retain the heat), then putting your final turbo just after the catalytic converter. Now you'll capture the heat energy wasted by the exhaust, plus the heat energy created when the catalytic converter burns off excess gasses.

I hope this helps, good luck with your project.