Designing a circuit for a 7 Segment LED counter to display 17 followed by your student number.

HellasArmy

Joined Oct 20, 2017
Hello. I just want some feedback if is possible for my coursework so far. Also, i just want to know if the equations are correct to design the circuit in Digital Works 95.

The Problem:

Design a circuit to take binary inputs and display a number on the counter. The counter needs to display the number 1 followed by 7 to indicate the current year the coursework was done (i.e. 2017). Then this will be followed by your unique student ID number (person number). This will mean that everybody will have a unique problem to solve as no two students have the same student number. So if your student number was 123456 then your counter would need to display 17123456. Build a circuit using only AND, OR, NOT, NAND and NOR logic gates to simulate the counter. You should use 3 sequencers (I used 4 sequencers because i have 8 in my student ID) or bit generators in your circuit as input. Draw your circuit using Digital Works 95. The numbers should change automatically without any user input.

Attachments

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

Thank you for posting your work and asking for help (not answers).

Not sure what your intent is with the inputs. I think you're confusing the BCD input to your decoder with the data that you need to code in the sequence generators.

You have done a specialized BCD to seven segment decoder in that you've omitted the digits that aren't used. Without Kmaps, someone would have to do the design to check your work.

HellasArmy

Joined Oct 20, 2017
Hello Mr Dennis,

I will try today to design my circuit in Digital Works 95 and i will see if is working or not.

Thanks for the advise.

HellasArmy

Joined Oct 20, 2017
Aaaahh never mind :). I have done it successfully with 3 sequencers. You do not need 4 sequencers to represent numbers 8 and 9 with Digital Works 95. Here is my circuit with the correct numbers of my student ID.

Attachments

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Here is my circuit with the correct numbers of my student ID.
A few words of advice.
  1. Keep all wires multiples of 90 degrees.
  2. Don't use colors.
  3. Print to pdf so you don't have that annoying grid.
If I was your instructor, I'd give reduced credit for sloppy work.

Part of a hex to 7 segment decoder I did:
upload_2017-11-2_13-47-42.png
The labeling is helpful if I make mistakes in the kmaps or wiring. For that reason, I don't attempt to simplify the logic until I verify that it works.

HellasArmy

Joined Oct 20, 2017
Thanks for the advice. I will make the changes tomorrow but for the color is edit by my tutor so i think is fine :).