Design suggestions for high-frequency/high-voltage waveform generator

sk2x4

Joined Nov 22, 2011
Hi,

I'm working on a science project and hoping for some EE advice for a low cost solution. Basically, I need a circuit that can generate an electric field (positive voltage sine wave) that I can tweak the parameters from say 50 to 200 Vpp at 1 to 10kHz. I'm starting with a 12VDC power source. There is practically no current flow. I need to make a few of these so hoping that there is some sort of device or small number of devices that can be rigged together to do this. I appreciate any advice to point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Your basic requirement is relatively easy to satisfy, but you need to flesh out the design parameters further.

Firstly is the aim of the project to design/produce the 200V sine wave or is that incidental to the real project and can be considered a component, like nuts and bolts?
That is are you allowed to simply purchase a solution?

Secondly you mention using a 12 volt supply. Is this esential you cannot achieve a 200V sine wave directly with this so you will have to employ a converter to higher voltage.
These are readily available (eg from US Digikey).

Given then that you can convert the 12 volts to a suitable level.

If you want cheap then there were once plenty of old fashioned valve (US tube) amplifiers capable of amplifying a couple of volts sine wave to 200volts. I probably have one at the back of my shed. Look around for one of these.

All you then need is a simple low voltage sine wave generator to drive it.

Another possibility is to connect a 12volt portable PA amplifier in a feedback loop and drive a step-up transformer to transform the resulting oscillation to 200V.

Tell us more of your project.

go well

sk2x4

Joined Nov 22, 2011
After some poking around and testing I can make the chemistry go with square pulses just a good as sine wave. I do need a very cheap small solution so I can use a bunch of them at the same time. With that in mine I was thinking of driving an inductor like this: simulation. I have not tested physically yet but seems pretty straight forward. Is this a reasonable way to do this?

thanks,

sk2x4

Joined Nov 22, 2011
No not really a HHO project but you can think of it like that on a micro scale. As I said in first posting practically no current (nanoAmps). Thanks.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Just so you know this site does not support overunity in any form, be it perpetual motion, HHO, or any other scheme that has come out over the years.

This thread now has the complete attention of the moderating staff at AAC.

sk2x4

Joined Nov 22, 2011
My bad, when I saw the message I did a quick search of "HHO" and based on the search titles made me think it is reference to some sort of electrolysis method. I apparently stepped on a hot button. My application is in the field biochemistry leveraging the electrophoretic affect in for doing measurements on a very small scale. This is something we have been testing using large and expensive instrument grade HV supply, I was just looking for a way to scale down to something very small and cheap. Project is very thinly funded by a grant so have to keep on shoe string. My apologies to moderators, if subject is still objectionable you can let the thread die. I do appreciate the comments so far. Regards.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Well I'm right glad to hear that it is real project.

My suggestion is to get a capacitive discharge ignition system from an auto store.
Do not conect an automotive coil to the circuit.
This will generate high voltage pulses of a few hundred volts depending upon the model. The pulse repetition rate may be a bit slow for your requirements but could be increased.