Design Review - Dual indicators for power-on from a single power source to auxiliary light system, 12v (Rock Lights / Dome Lights)

FriedRelay

Joined Mar 18, 2022
I have done hours of reading, watching videos, and searching the internet on how to wire 12v auxiliary lights on a vehicle that uses two power-on indicators from a single power source. While I have not found an exact example of what I want to achieve, I believe I have designed a solution that will work based on what I have learned. I would greatly appreciate a review of the design and any recommendations to improve the design if identified. I have attached a picture with the design.

(I am not an electrical engineer, so please excuse any terms which are misused).

Goal: Dual indicators for power-on from a single power source for auxiliary lights (Rock Lights).
• When doors open or doors are unlocked, the auxiliary lights (rock lights) turn on.​
• When power is switched on via the Power Control Panel, the auxiliary lights (rock lights) come on.​
• When doors are open, and power-on is indicated by Relay and Power Control Panel there is no power conflict.​

Thank you.

Semper Fi,

Jake

Attachments

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Looks good so far. Please post links to data for the components, especially the relay and diode.

Is this the only thing the power control panel and power distribution panel are controlling? If yes, they can be reduced to a simple switch

ak

FriedRelay

Joined Mar 18, 2022
Looks good so far. Please post links to data for the components, especially the relay and diode.

Is this the only thing the power control panel and power distribution panel are controlling? If yes, they can be reduced to a simple switch

ak

The Power Distribution Panel will control other functions (cargo lights, off-road lights, etc.)

The diode is a Roadmaster Hy-Power Diode RM790.

The 12v relay is from Bosch as listed on Amazon.

Thanks for reviewing.

FriedRelay

Joined Mar 18, 2022
Welcome to AAC!
How are you going to determine that the doors are unlocked?
Is there a second power source that can cause a power conflict?
To determine when the doors unlock / doors open, I'll be using a wire connected to the interior dome light. When that light comes on, it should trigger the relay to send power to the auxiliary (rock lights).

There is no second power source. Just the two power leads from same battery on the dual input diode.

Thanks for reviewing.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
To determine when the doors unlock / doors open, I'll be using a wire connected to the interior dome light. When that light comes on, it should trigger the relay to send power to the auxiliary (rock lights).

There is no second power source. Just the two power leads from same battery on the dual input diode.

Thanks for reviewing.
The side effect will be that turning on your dome light will turn on your auxiliary. Is that always acceptable?

FriedRelay

Joined Mar 18, 2022
The side effect will be that turning on your dome light will turn on your auxiliary. Is that always acceptable?
I'm hoping the design avoids that occurring, except for when a door is open. The switch panel would only apply power to the diode which goes to the auxiliary lights and should not energize the dome light when the doors are closed or the dome light has timed out.

Thanks for reviewing.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I'm hoping the design avoids that occurring, except for when a door is open. The switch panel would only apply power to the diode which goes to the auxiliary lights and should not energize the dome light when the doors are closed or the dome light has timed out.

Thanks for reviewing.
What I meant was that when you manually turn on your dome light, it will turn on your auxilliary.