Derstroms8 ' What New

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Hi there Loosie. Thanks for asking.

Yes, the school year has begun, so I'm back in the lab at the university. If everything comes together like it looks like it should, I'll be heading back to Vermont in January to get my software development position back. Not sure yet if they'll be able to offer me a permanent job yet, but I have my fingers crossed.
Anyway, I'm settled in in Boston for another couple of months, working on my own piece of software in my free time. I'll keep you updated on what's happening.

So that's how I've been. How about you? How is the loose wire?

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
How can we discuss setting up to sign up 350,000,000 new forum members

since we have such large world population. There are questions like what are the first

steps you take. This is the chance for our experts to lay out a simple start to

difficult programming for members. Show me....what you have learned that others

are missing out on. Do we have any instructors that are willing to put there foot

forward ,if you know what I mean. This is a difficult question I know ,lets see how

well it can be addressed. I would like to see some back and forth on how you would

approach this type of programming. Read between the lines and start.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Wow Loosie, 350 million members is a LOT of people. I don't know if we'd be able to support that many :eek:

But seriously, I think you're on to something. What if we had e-books for programming, one for each language or application. For example, one for Assembly for microcontrollers, one for C for microcontrollers, one for C for computer, one for C++, one for Java, and so on? We could start at the very beginning and just write a new chapter here and there. Then we could direct the newbie programmers to the e-books for in-depth help in getting started with programming. I, for one, would be willing to write such a book on either C for computers or for Java. I'm sure we have some other members who would be willing to contribute for other languages/applications.

Is that roughly what you had in mind, Loosie?

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Actually, I wrote a couple tutorials for friends to get started with programming. I wouldn't mind dusting them off and polishing them to that end, however, that would require a more active role for Dennis, unless you are not suggesting tacking it on to the Lessons in Electric Circuits (the AAC) ebook. I intended to write some on getting started with microcontrollers, but I have yet to find a place for them, so they remain in conceptual form.

As a side note, since I read your thread on WindowBuilder, I've downloaded it and dabbled in it, it is similar to the C# WPF/WinForms work I did before from what I've seen, but with a Java twist to it. I don't know how relevant that is, but there it is...:)

On another tangent, I was looking to start a website for electronics, about the time I came to AAC, for just such a purpose, but seeing this website, I'm not sure I could do any better...

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
As a side note, since I read your thread on WindowBuilder, I've downloaded it and dabbled in it, it is similar to the C# WPF/WinForms work I did before from what I've seen, but with a Java twist to it. I don't know how relevant that is, but there it is...:)
I have also learned a lot about WindowBuilder, many of the problems I had originally I've found solutions for on my own. It is an Eclipse plugin that makes use of the Jave Swing libraries to create the windows, but has a graphical layout that writes the code for you. It's very useful if you're a visual person, and know exactly what you want it to look like. I have almost my entire program finished at this point, I just need to connect some things underneath the top-level GUI to actually make it do stuff. But navigation between windows is pretty much complete.