Demultiplexer

Dritech

Joined Sep 21, 2011
Hi all,

I want a demultiplexer with 8 outputs to create a combination of 256 (2^8). The reason for this demultiplexer is to use the least pins possible from the microcontroller.

Now my question is, what is the least number of input pins that can be used?

Thanks in advance.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You can't do it with zero pins. Hence the least is one pin.
You can send the information out serially via one pin.

MMcLaren

Joined Feb 14, 2010
...but not with an input pin:confused:.....
It's not clear, but, I thought the OP meant one input pin on the demultiplexer...

Anyway, you should be able to do it any number of ways using one I/O pin. For example, as in the second drawing below where a single I/O line drives the 74HC164 clock and data lines (it takes approximately 100 microseconds to load the shift register with the RC values shown);

Attachments

Last edited:

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
You can use one μC output pin to serially output the mux address and one μC input pin to sense the mux output. Of course that will require a serial-to-parallel converter (shift-register) to generate the parallel address for the mux.

To simplify the timing and synchronization you may want to have a serial address output and a serial clock output, requiring two outputs from the microcontroller.

Dritech

Joined Sep 21, 2011
Thanks for the replies.

Lets assume I am going to use common I/O pins and want to use a demultiplexer without and clocks, what will be the minimum numbers of input pins?

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I have 4-digit LED displays with sign and decimal points.
I can connect as many of these to a microcontroller using a single pin.