delayed break on make

primuslesler

Joined Mar 20, 2013
I am working on a project where I need a timed delay to open a solenoid for approx. 5 seconds. I looked online and couldn't find what I needed. I am familiar with both delay on make and delay on break. So I think what I need would be called a delayed break on make. When voltage, 24vac, is applied to the delay it will keep the circuit to the solenoid closed for 5 seconds and then open the circuit with voltage still applied to the line side. It would need to do this multiple times a day. Any thoughts or advice? Thank you ahead of time.
-David

primuslesler

Joined Mar 20, 2013
To be a little bit more specific, I am either looking to buy a delay with that can do this or build a circuit board myself. My job mostly revolves around electrical troubleshooting so I'm no stranger to schematics and diagrams. Though this will be my first attempt at building a circuit board

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
So I think what I need would be called a delayed break on make. When voltage, 24vac, is applied to the delay it will keep the circuit to the solenoid closed for 5 seconds and then open the circuit with voltage still applied to the line side.
-David
little confused on exactly what you want....
does a "delay on make timer" that simply energizes a relay to open your solenoid solve the problem.

primuslesler

Joined Mar 20, 2013
no that would not solve the problem, I need a circuit that after energized , opens the solenoid for 5 seconds or so and while still energized with the 24volt signal closes the solenoid. The circuit can be energized for any given amount of time but I need the solenoid to open for only the first 5 seconds

primuslesler

Joined Mar 20, 2013
Ok so after some more research and looking through a grainger catalog for an hour or so I ran across exactly whatI need, almost. Its called a one shot relay that when energized it stays closed for a set time and then reopens with a continuous signal. Once the signal is removed the relay resets itself. Only problem with the one on grainger is its about $70. Does anyone know how to make these relays, I haven't found much information online, I'm guessing its not very common