delay time control between two square wave

applecat2411

Joined Mar 21, 2013
As i am trying to have two logic square waves signals with ampltiude of 5V to drive two MOSFETs in my DC-DC converter. The frequency i am using is 100kHz, which is 10us for the period.

I need to control the delay time or phase shift between the two signals with the delay time ranging from 0 to 5us, are there any electronics components could have this function?

Thank you.

antonv

Joined Nov 27, 2012
Not quite sure what you mean but a micro controller should be able to do it.

Does it have to generate the 100kHz or do you already have a source for that?

You want it adjustable?

applecat2411

Joined Mar 21, 2013
I already successfully generated a 100kHz square wave with 50% duty ratio
using a microcontroller (Atmel Attiny 26).

But now, what i want is two square wave source, each of them is a 100kHz , with duty ratio 50%. But one of them should have a delay time, ranging from 0 to 5us with respect to another square wave. The two source is used to drive two MOSFETs in half-bridge configuration.

I don't know the method to do this.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
I already successfully generated a 100kHz square wave with 50% duty ratio
using a microcontroller (Atmel Attiny 26).

But now, what i want is two square wave source, each of them is a 100kHz , with duty ratio 50%. But one of them should have a delay time, ranging from 0 to 5us with respect to another square wave. The two source is used to drive two MOSFETs in half-bridge configuration.

I don't know the method to do this.
You will get shoot-through if both gates are driven with 50% duty cycle.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
There are driver ICs made, such as This one to control half an H-Bridge, which have protection against shoot through integrated into the entire system.

There are many ICs like this available, half and full bridge, high side drivers, etc.

There are no affordable discrete hardware delay solutions. Modifying the code to add in the dead time would be the simplest solution.

Fairchild App Note 6003 covers your specific issue