dehydrator and oven ?

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
I am thinking about making my own dried fruit/veg ... raisens , craisens ,...etc

I am think about buying a dehydrator to make the process easier.
But I was curious what the differences is between a dehydrator set on say 120 to 200 degrees and an oven set on the same setting.

The only think I can think of is the volume differences of the two machines.

Basically can one do the same with the oven as a dehydrator .... will the raisens come out equivalent in either one

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
how much do you think it will cost to run your oven for 3-4 days straight with the door open?...$$$$$$$$$
The dehydration process requires air flow in addition to heat.

buy a dehydrator.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Make a sort of solar collector such that a plate of glass keeps dust out of your food and convection keeps moving the humidity out of the chamber.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
so how long does a dehydrator run until the fruit or veg is done ?
And what temperature range is it typically set at for a dehydrator or oven

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I would design you own, all you need is a box with a low wattage heater, and a fan for the airflow.

If you want it to be really energy efficient then insulate the box well, and put a heatexchanger on the air inlet/outlet so heat is transferred and kept within the box.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
The oven will only go in 50 degree increments and is incredibly hard to maintain a contant temp of 150 or 120 thru the whole oven. If you were to buy a 10,000 dollar convection commercial oven then yes that would work. But a dehydrator not only circulates air, but can dial in a temp a lot better.