Defrag

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Anything more than two hours for a normal personal computer would be excessive and may indicate other hard drive problems.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
and whether it's compressed or not (compressed volumes take longer; compressed files like .zip files don't - unless they are on a compressed drive).

MCrowe

Joined May 29, 2011
Anything more than two hours for a normal personal computer would be excessive and may indicate other hard drive problems.
Define normal... I'm pretty sure mine take somewhere between "a fair bit more than 2 hours" and a "lot lot more than 2 hours."

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I have a 500Gig hard drive, over ½ full. Does this qualify as a normal machine? Nowdays it does, and it can take a very long time indeed.

Back in my Win98 days with a 130 Gig drive it could take well over 6 hours if I hadn't done it in a while.

The less you do it the more time it takes when you do get around to it. If it is done regularly this time shortens drastically.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The first time I tried defragging was a Win 95 computer. After the defrag, it didn't work! That's when I decided to load the backup copy, and presto! It's defragged.

That is the method I use...the 10 minute defrag. It also kills viruses, reduces internet clutter, eliminates swollen registry, etc. Of course, this method works best for people that have the good sense to keep their personal data in a different partition.