Define voltage and current needed to drive a solenoid valve

navidelec

Joined Jul 12, 2014
I have a linear solenoid valve which I know Rs,Ls and Rp,Lp measured by LCR meter, I can say the only parameters which I have is the mentioned LCR data.

How can I define the voltage and current to drive it?
Where can I find a thorough explanations about solenoid valves?

Thanks to your attention

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
it's an electro-pneumatic linear solenoid valve
Linear solenoid valve can cover a lot of bases?
From two position to proportional, some details would be in order for any constructive help?
It sounds almost like it is a magnetic set/reset type?
If you don't have the manufacturers engineering data on it how did you hope to proceed in order to actuate it?
If DC set reset, what is the resistance of the coil?
Max.

navidelec

Joined Jul 12, 2014
Linear solenoid valve can cover a lot of bases?
From two position to proportional, some details would be in order for any constructive help?
It sounds almost like it is a magnetic set/reset type?
If you don't have the manufacturers engineering data on it how did you hope to proceed in order to actuate it?
If DC set reset, what is the resistance of the coil?
Max.
yes, such a normally-closed, direct acting valve

Rp=800 ohm
Lp=73mH

Rs=198 ohm
Ls=55mH

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Did you just come by this randomly?
Does it not have any manuf or part number on it at all?
Normally a magnetic latch relay has only one coil, if this has two then it appears you have the coil resistances, but AFAIK there are not too many mind reader members on this forum;).
So for me personally to take it further I would need a little more info.:(
A least a picture would be something!!
Max.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Most pneumatic and water solenoids require ~2W to 10W to actuate them. I would just hook it to an adjustable DC power supply and slowly increase the applied voltage with some sort of pressurized fluid connected (water main?) an just see what happens.

E=√(PR) = √(5χ198) = , so you could safely get up ~30V without hurting it...

navidelec

Joined Jul 12, 2014
Did you just come by this randomly?
Does it not have any manuf or part number on it at all?
Normally a magnetic latch relay has only one coil, if this has two then it appears you have the coil resistances, but AFAIK there are not too many mind reader members on this forum;).
So for me personally to take it further I would need a little more info.:(
A least a picture would be something!!
Max.
No, it's just an identify project of my university coarse and I should find the solution for doing these project in order to define a guideline.
At all, thanks for your attention
If you have an extra idea and a guideline for me please inform me.

Last edited:

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Unless you know the maximum power dissipation the solenoid can withstand you can only guess at the drive requirements :(.
I disagree, there are certain commonalities in most solenoid valves and yu can do some simple tests.

You can ramp up the voltage (and current) using an adjustable DC PSU, to find the pull-in voltage and current. That pull-in point is normally about half the rated voltage, or maybe 60% of it.

Then increase it further until pull-in is fast and reliable under all conditions. That will do to run it.

As a further test you can leave it activated continually and measure temperature rise to see if the coil cooks. ;)