Deer Feeder

danabr87

Joined Jan 18, 2012
Hi!!I want to build a deer feeder...for that i will need a timer where i can set the feeds time per day,and where i can feed different days of the week ...I will appreciate some tips to do that!!

Here hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x8W8jhb9dI&feature=related i have a link of an example of that!!

Best regards

PaulEE

Joined Dec 23, 2011
Hi!!I want to build a deer feeder...for that i will need a timer where i can set the feeds time per day,and where i can feed different days of the week ...I will appreciate some tips to do that!!

Here hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x8W8jhb9dI&feature=related i have a link of an example of that!!

Best regards
You could work this up into a microcontroller design. Battery-powered or do we have a luxury power cord?

PaulEE

Joined Dec 23, 2011
A 12V battery powered!!Do you have any sugestions?
Neat idea.

It looks like a timer-programmable lawn feed spreader suspended on a tall tripod.

Assuming you can get the motor, plastic spreader bucket and motor head attachment yourself, you've got a few major design points:
-Timing functions
-Motor drive
-Power supply conditioning
-User interface (for a more complicated design)

The timing functions are simply long delay loops in the microcontroller, the motor drive could be a logic signal driving a relay, the power supply conditioning could be as simple as a resistor and zener to drive the PIC with the rest of the circuit running off 12v, a +5v regulator, etc., and the user interface could be as simple as "power on, do routine" or "power on, click button, do routine", etc.

How in-depth do you want to go?

danabr87

Joined Jan 18, 2012
Neat idea.

It looks like a timer-programmable lawn feed spreader suspended on a tall tripod.

Assuming you can get the motor, plastic spreader bucket and motor head attachment yourself, you've got a few major design points:
-Timing functions
-Motor drive
-Power supply conditioning
-User interface (for a more complicated design)

The timing functions are simply long delay loops in the microcontroller, the motor drive could be a logic signal driving a relay, the power supply conditioning could be as simple as a resistor and zener to drive the PIC with the rest of the circuit running off 12v, a +5v regulator, etc., and the user interface could be as simple as "power on, do routine" or "power on, click button, do routine", etc.

How in-depth do you want to go?
i want to do everything like you said!!you strip me of the project of my mind literally!!!!
What microcontroller can i use to do that?

PaulEE

Joined Dec 23, 2011
i want to do everything like you said!!you strip me of the project of my mind literally!!!!
What microcontroller can i use to do that?
Well, since you only have to keep rough track of time and trigger a relay to go off once in awhile, you can use anything you'd like. I am biased to PIC microcontrollers, due to their ease of use and popularity amongst hobbyists. I like the 12F683 for little projects like this.

danabr87

Joined Jan 18, 2012
Well, since you only have to keep rough track of time and trigger a relay to go off once in awhile, you can use anything you'd like. I am biased to PIC microcontrollers, due to their ease of use and popularity amongst hobbyists. I like the 12F683 for little projects like this.
I'm not very experient with electronics so i will need your help (if you can help me, off course) to start this project!!
I will appreciate your tips!!

PaulEE

Joined Dec 23, 2011
No, i haven't
The first thing you'll need is this:

http://www.microchipdirect.com/productsearch.aspx?Keywords=DV164120

The top item is what you want. It comes with a PIC programmer and PIC microcontroller with high quality development proto board. This will allow the two of us (and whoever else happens upon this forum thread) to show you the ropes on the microcontroller. I have a suggestion for the software that is different than what that kit comes with.

Eventually, this board can be in your final project if you so choose.

danabr87

Joined Jan 18, 2012
The first thing you'll need is this:

http://www.microchipdirect.com/productsearch.aspx?Keywords=DV164120

The top item is what you want. It comes with a PIC programmer and PIC microcontroller with high quality development proto board. This will allow the two of us (and whoever else happens upon this forum thread) to show you the ropes on the microcontroller. I have a suggestion for the software that is different than what that kit comes with.

Eventually, this board can be in your final project if you so choose.
Ok!!i'm going to buy one of that!!in the microchipdirect when i'm searching for pic12F683 it appears a dozen of these...which one i have to buy??

PaulEE

Joined Dec 23, 2011
Ok!!i'm going to buy one of that!!in the microchipdirect when i'm searching for pic12F683 it appears a dozen of these...which one i have to buy??
Right now, all you need is that little development kit. It comes with a microcontroller that will be great for your needs.