Decent Light for cycling

ciknismo

Joined Jan 11, 2012
Came across this one at Performance, and it looks like a pretty good deal on paper, and I have seen many reviews. I know that the Headlamp products are well-liked in these forums, and seem similar to the Pace in features, lumens, etc. $2.18 seems like a good deal for a "to see" light in this lumen category to use for winter commutes. For me it would be a second headlight as I am already running a Niterider 250 cordless setup which I am happy with. I had been using a DX flashlight as my second light, but find that it keeps switching modes every time I hit a bump in the path or road. It was a low-cost investment, and I can still use it as a flashlight around the house, so no real loss there. Still want to have a second headlight, though, as the niterider isn't quite enough when the MUT goes completely dark in the winter.

Anyways, just looking for opinions on Headlamp 's in general and this one in particular.
<snip>

Last edited by a moderator:

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Its a $2 cheap Chinese LED light..what are you really expecting. I'd expect very little light output/junky cheap build quality..

bwack

Joined Nov 15, 2011
What he said ...

If you are lucky, you get 2-3 lm pr led, 10-15lm for 5 leds, then the 250lm niterider light will shadow out your headlight easily and you don't even know if the headlamp is on or off, however for repairing flats out in the pitch black its good.

You need a more spotty light than the niterider to get better throw. A flashlight on the helmet would do it. I've used the Ledlenser T7 in the (bumpy) forrest, and it doesn't turn on and off by itself. The problem with DX light is the construction, weak battery spring, etc.

davebee

Joined Oct 22, 2008
At that price, it wouldn't hurt to try it, but my guess is that it isn't very bright.

I've done a little night biking, and I'd put lights into two categories - bright enough so others can see you, which is generally just barely bright enough to be able to make your way down an unlit path, and bright enough to be able to ride fast and far without fatigue.

But even if it isn't that bright, it could always serve as a backup headlight. It's a scary feeling having your main battery run down or your bulb burn out when you're on a bike, miles from home, on a pitch-black bike path, and a backup headlight would at least get you safely home.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I'm guessing the price is a misprint. You ar not getting any kind of light at all for $2.18. It is probably more like $218.

Why the OP posted a bicycle question in an electronics forum with zero technical information is beyond me.