Dealing with Cancer...

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
So my brother recently got aggressive Melanoma on his back. Had it removed and has a nice 4 inch stitches in his back. Just got the news today it did not spread and he's clean. But now since he has a history of it he has to be checked every 3 months. He's having a rough time with it. Anyone have any insight into this. Any tips from anyone having been through this. He's the 1st in the family history with cancer, and were pretty sure he picked it up by lifestyle. He worked outside for about 15 years in the sun and was an avid fisherman.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
It's very good news that the cancer was found and extracted. Regular checkups, though they may be a pain in the neck, are a good thing, considering what might happen otherwise. It's what we commonly call a "wake up call" Now that he knows the risks, he ( and his doctors ) are on alert if this beast ever rasis it's head again.

I know these things from personal experience.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
My mom had the problem all her life. She checked herself regularly, and when it popped up it was promptly removed.

Melanoma is deadly, if untreated and allowed to spread it is a killer, and it will get you if you allow it too.

The good news is taken care of promptly it is the most curable of all cancers. It comes right off with a minimum of fuss when it is small.

So your brother is going to have to look at himself, or get someone else to help, every couple of weeks. No big deal. Just don't get lax.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
As was said already, all that needs to be done is follow up regularly with check ups and also get to know his own skin better to watch out for other dubious spots. It will have to become a routine, but the great thing is that the diagnostic technology is excellent right now and there really is nothing to worry about if your brother takes care of keeping up with his check-ups. What has improved is making sure that all of the malignant tissue is removed, before there was no reliable way to make sure, now fluoroscopy and other methods are used to look at tissue in vivo. Discipline is key though.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I was visiting my younger brother one day; he was standing and shaving at the bathroom mirror. I said something about a bad looking spot on his upper back. He shrugged if off, but a few days later, he went the doctor with a cold, and as an afterthought, asked the doctor to look at it. It turned out to be Melanoma, was surgically removed, left a 4" scar, and he has had no related problems.

Oh, and that was almost 30 years ago. :)