Dead iPod Touch?

akhristov

Joined Jan 3, 2010
Hi guys, I really need help.

I was trying to fix my friend's iPod Touch, which had its home button broken. Soon, the repair got more complicated... I accidentally damaged the ribbon cable that goes to the screen while removing the glue that holds the battery in place, so we had to get a new screen, which took about a week.

In the meantime, the iPod was left turned on (for about a week). Today, I installed the new screen, but the iPod wouldn't turn on at all. We tried charging the iPod, but no results so far.

How can I figure out what's wrong? It could be the battery, but it would be pointless buying a new battery if it wasn't charging in the first place. The main board could have short circuited as well (I hope not).

So how would I be able to tell if the battery is dead or if it was simply refusing to charge? We left the iPod charging overnight but I really doubt that it'll work...

I'm an idiot for causing this, I know... but please help.

P.S. if you have any other ideas, please post them. I'm not ruling anything out.

P.P.S. It's a 1st Generation iPod Touch, if that affects anything.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
use a multimeter to see if battery has a charge, if it does, double check all the connections and make sure you connected the LCD cable the right way, and also, did you order an LCD for that particular generation of Ipods? or for the newer ones? If you bought one for the newer generation Ipod, it will not work with the first generation ones....

My .02

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
use a multimeter to see if battery has a charge, if it does, double check all the connections and make sure you connected the LCD cable the right way, and also, did you order an LCD for that particular generation of Ipods? or for the newer ones? If you bought one for the newer generation Ipod, it will not work with the first generation ones....
Could he possibly test some of the connections on the MB to see if the MB is working? I don't know if this will fry the MB.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Could he possibly test some of the connections on the MB to see if the MB is working? I don't know if this will fry the MB.

The Ipod will not even power up if he has the wrong type of LCD, on the newer ones they started using a much better LCD with more color capabilities compared to the first generation ones, so they may be pin to pin compatible, but the firmware is much too different.