DC Sound Activated Light Controller

kartcrg84

Joined Jul 27, 2011
Hey everyone, I'm a new member here, but I am familiar with these forums, since I have found many of my small questions already answered here. Anyways, I am working on a sound activated light controller for my PC. I want to be able to be able to control LEDs and cold cathode lights in my PC, using my PC power supply. I got my main idea from here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chjF5FU7oYQ&feature=channel_video_title . And after designing my own circuit to better suit my needs, I stumbled upon this: http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2010/10/circuit-skills-led-color-organ-spon.html . I decided to incorporate the three channel system by removing the transistors and LEDs at the end and then sending the 3 signals to my actual light controller board. I have uploaded my schematic and pcb design (I used eagle) below.

To clarify, I will be creating at least 2 boards, one will separate the signal, and the other(s) will direct the signal to its own set of lights. My first board will simply separate the signal from a simple audio jack, and output it through a 3 pin servo type cable. My second board will then receive this signal and allow me to choose which of the 3 channels I would like my lights to strobe to, with the 3 SPST toggle switches(I might replace them with pots that have an SPST built in for better control, let me know what you think). My SPDT toggle switch will then allow me to select either: always on, to sound, or off. I plan on powering everything from my PC's power supply using standard 4 pin molex connectors.

Now on to my questions. First off, I apologize if any of my design is not following any "rule of thumb", or common practice, etc. I am very new to circuit design, and this is my first time working on anything like this(also first time using eagle), so be nice, I'm doing my best :D Now, I would like to be able to control both cold cathodes and LEDs in the same way (reducing the requirement of multiple board designs, and also allowing my boards to be interchangeable, so that I can change things without having to make a new board). I first had a potentiometer on my controller board near the origin, on the front of the board, that just connected to the output molex connector. I then learned (from this forum) that potentiometers don't work very well for this, without some sort of pwm set up. So my 2 main questions are: will this work with the cold cathode lights, with out any noticeable lag (I know some cold cathode inverters have sound control, but I want something that doesn't use a microphone, and I can synchronize to other lights); and what is the best way for me to control the brightness of LEDs AND cold cathodes (like this one: http://www.elogisys.com/viewsku.asp?SKUID=CLK15WT&DID=CCFLKIT ).

Keep in mind that I am doing my best to be cost effective as well, since I am a low income highs chool student, and don't want to blow $50+ on something that won't work. Also keep in mind that I am planning on making this myself, using toner transfer method, so any input in that regard would be awesome. I am also planning on changing my hole sizes so that I will only have to buy 4 bits max (once again, cost effectiveness). All input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Bob

Attachments

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
perhaps a different type of file than a .zip would gather more responses. Especially since you are new and nobody knows you, the hesitation to download a .zip with unknown contents might be very high.

I suggest .pdf, or a picture in .png format.