DC Power supply assistance

gunboatbay

Joined Jan 24, 2009
I have found a rather extensive source of used portable drills that people have discarded because the batteries gave out and new batteries for obsolete drills are too expensive. I would like to use these units for several projects around the shop. The problem is, their operating voltages vary from 3.5 to 24 volts (DC). I would like to construct a DC power supply with an adjustable output voltage. At a garage sale recently I obtained a Staco, Inc. brand “Variable autotransformer”, (120v input, 0-140v output, 3.5kva, 25 a.), which appears to be unused. Because of its size and weight, it appears to be overkill, but I would like to use it for my power supply source. Can anyone help me with construction assistance for this project ?? I’m not totally “electrically challenged”, but have not idea about circuits and specific components for this project. I believe most of these drill motors would draw, at the most, about 5amps at their respective voltage. I researched the archives for this type of device, but all of the power supply designs seem to be very low current outputs for electronic uses.

gunboatbay

Joined Jan 24, 2009
Thanks for the quick response, mik3, and the warning about using the autotransformer. I guess I'm more electrically challenged than I thought. The url that you referenced appears to be for a regulator, with a low DC voltage input. With just an AC transformer as a starting point, I need help with necessary diagram/components to get to the DC low voltage output with that kind of current.
Thanks, Art

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
The hard part of this is the rectification and filtering of the AC voltage. To achieve 5A at 24V you will need a 120V/24V 140VA transformer, a 10A bridge rectifier which can handle large transient currents due to the charging of the filtering capacitor when you first turn the power supply on and a 15mF (approximately) 50V capacitor.
Another better option is to use a switched mode power supply which will be more efficient.