dc motor

danebrown.sjce

Joined Dec 2, 2013
i need a small motor(im confused whether to choose stepper ot dc motor i also have heard of 6mm coreless motor) i need motor wic can run on 3-5 volts less current with small size....motor has to drive minimal load ...pls suggest the type of motor and its availability

size is the most important criteria ....

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
And we're confused as to what size you need the motor to fit into, what the minimal load actually is, and what the application is the motor is expected to do. More real information will get better results.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
And we're confused as to what size you need the motor to fit into, what the minimal load actually is, and what the application is the motor is expected to do. More real information will get better results.
"small" or "minimal" isn't detailed enough for you .. :p geesh so demanding.. :D

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Weight of cyclinder? rate of acell/decell? Precise positioning required? point to point or various precise positioning?
I don't have a listing for "Minimal Load"?
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
But by precise positioning via feedback or will point to point via limit switch do?
If you want to conserve current as much as possible, do not go stepper.
Max.

danebrown.sjce

Joined Dec 2, 2013
point to point no feedback required .
actually what im doing is a braille display . each braille character has 6 dots . im actuating
each dot by a motor . i need a motor to serve this purpose.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Wouldn't this constitute variable (non-repetitive) positioning?
IOW each dot a different position?
Or is this just the move on the detection of a dot?
Max.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
point to point no feedback required .
actually what im doing is a braille display . each braille character has 6 dots . im actuating
each dot by a motor . i need a motor to serve this purpose.
IMO. a motor is a poor choice for that intended function..
A push/pull solenoid is a better/easier solution.. no need to convert rotary to linear motion either..
maybe a piezo actuator / voice coil

Last edited:

danebrown.sjce

Joined Dec 2, 2013
@MaxHeadRoom
i planned to use 6 motors for 6 dot. There will be 6 circular openings on the surface. each time a dot is actuated cylinder emerges out of the circular opening.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Now the application is a bit clearer, I agree with Mgyver a linear actuator may be the answer as it sounds as if you will need to go rotary to linear anyway?
Dot matrix printer style and the old paper tape punch?
Max.

danebrown.sjce

Joined Dec 2, 2013
i will try both motor and solenoid (if i get a solenoid with operating voltage 3-5v ,small size and less delay).
so with motor what are my options (which motor do u suggest??).
with solenoid ??

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
There are many small DC motor available on ebay around that voltage.
But the solenoid would be my first approach, if you can find an old paper tape punch it sounds like that would be ideal, but the 3-5v makes it a bit restrictive, especially with 6 operating at once?
What kind of power source are you designing around?
Max.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
There are hundreds of motors that "might" work..
But obviously without knowing the mechanical design of how to intend to connect these to the dots its impossible to recommend a suitable motor or even a solenoid.

A google search for "5v solenoid" will turn up TONS of products that might be used..

But again.. there are many details that are missing from your question.. and IMO are up to YOU to figure out and define..