DC motor

WHWells

Joined Sep 26, 2005
I have a 90 volt 1 HP DC motor from a running machine. I would like to use it in another application. How can I make or get, a transformer/rectifier so I can use it?

Sebi

Joined Sep 24, 2005
If You want just run (without RPM regulation), the transformer and a (min.10A)bridge rectifier enough. To reduce the trafo size (and when galvanic isolation not necessary), use autotransformer. (only one winding for mains, tapped on 90V)

Erin G.

Joined Mar 3, 2005
Ditto on Sebi's reply. Just make sure that it's not a PWM or other hybrid motor. If it is, then you must obtain the proper DC drive for the motor or you could damage it by apply a strait VDC to the windings.

WHWells

Joined Sep 26, 2005
Originally posted by Sebi@Sep 26 2005, 02:14 PM
If You want just run (without RPM regulation), the transformer and a (min.10A)bridge rectifier enough. To reduce the trafo size (and when galvanic isolation not necessary), use autotransformer. (only one winding for mains, tapped on 90V)
[post=10624]Quoted post[/post]​
Where does one get a 90 volt transformer? And where do I get a 0.10A bridge rectifier?

Also when I removed the motor from the running machine I did not find any thing that looked like a transformer. I did find a circuit board, which I disguarded, a rheostat and a switch both of which I still have.

Is it possible that no transformer was used? That just a rectifier and rheostat to control the motor? [Then I need to retrieve the circuit board and see if I can follow the flow.] Why would the circuits use smaller diameter wire?

Sebi

Joined Sep 24, 2005
The trafo no needed if the controller board workable.
Running machine mean the trainer-device from fitness centre?