DC motor inrush current limiter

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
A triac feeding a bridge rectifier can easily run a DC motor. In order to limit the in-rush current, a sense element is needed (usually a low ohm resistor) and the voltage developed is used to limit the drive to the triac. Check out http://www.kbelectronics.com/manuals/kbcc_255_manual.pdf
for the manual of a KB electronics DC drive (AC input) for an idea of how they do it. R21 near the lower right corner of the schematic is the shunt resistor used to measure armature current. The manual gives a procedure on how to set current limit. Nice little drives and very inexpensive (I don't work for them but have used the product)

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
It sounds like your best bet for speed control would be PWM. The PWM generator would be the controlling element to regulate in-rush current via the current feedback system.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I have a dumb question about this question. Why limit starting current? Starting current is always higher than running current. The motor will only draw what is needed, correct? If the motor is locked up for some reason and draws excessive current, wouldn't a fuse be a better thing to use?

A fuse would blow and stop current flow saving the motor windings. A current limiter would limit the current to that level and if not detected smoke the windings. Correct?

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Sorry! I really don't have a source for a complete PWM circuit with current limit fold back. Others may be able to help. I'm sure somebody makes a commercial unit but just don't know off the top of my head.