DC motor for e-bike

asadpasat

Joined Apr 13, 2014
Ok, so what type of motor(if you know specific one) would you use for e-bike. I know it should be around 50v, and it should be DC. I don't know rest of the specs. the motor should have. Can you recommend me one?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
It also depends on how the motor is mechanically coupled to the wheel.
Some simple designs use standard DC motors that are coupled to the wheel via a set of gears or chain.

Modern e-bikes use brushless DC (BLDC) motors which are essentially DC stepper motors. The motor is installed as the hub of the wheel, either front or back wheel. You need a BLDC motor controller in order to drive these types of motors.

asadpasat

Joined Apr 13, 2014
Wow, thanks for a lot of useful info. One more question, if I would get the pancake motor from golden motor.com, I want to integrate it on the wheel, mechanically coupled in wheel. I would have to put the motor in a round oval, so when the more would start working it would then spin the wheel in which it is (through gear system ). But i am not sure how to control the motor. And also what system of gears I should use. Any tips?

antonv

Joined Nov 27, 2012
I don't know the answers for sure but here's how I believe it works:
The motor is built into the wheel by using really short spokes; you buy the complete wheel from them. That takes care of the coupling.

You still have your normal gears for the chain so that you can still pedal. They will install 6- or 7-speed gears for you.

Included in the motor is the controller that you control from a twist- or thumb throttle on your handle bars.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
What anton says is correct.
You can also purchase the motor itself if you want the trouble of respoking your wheel.
You also have the option of having the motor on the front wheel or the back wheel.
By modifying the front wheel you retain the original gears of your bicycle.

asadpasat

Joined Apr 13, 2014
I looked at the goldenmotor.com and I fount the magic pie 3 motor(not installed in wheel, just motor ), so to that think I would have to buy the power brake handles and Integrated Twist Throttle With Battery Gauge or Integrated Thumb Throttle With Battery Gauge but I don't have to get the PAS( Pedelec Device). Like the only think I found about it is that when you start pedling it runs the motor, something like assistance. So do you think I should get that too?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Make sure you fully understand what you are getting into.

Do you know how to spoke a wheel?

You will also need a motor controller, battery, battery charger and a bracket/frame/carrier to mount the battery and controller.