DC Motor Driver - L298

trimbitassorin

Joined Jan 19, 2014
Hello,

I want to build a small robot with 4 motors (Key specs at 6 V: 75 RPM and 80 mA free-run, 85 oz-in (6.1 kg-cm) and 2.2 A stall.) and build 2 motor drivers like the one attached (one motor driver will control the motors from a side).

I have created the schematic based on the L298 data sheet and just added the 2 LEDs for visual feedback of the rotation of the motors.

Will it be ok?

Thanks

Sorin

Attachments

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Do you realize that the L298 will drop in excess of 3.8v across itself when under a 2A load? This leaves only 2.2v at best for your motors. The rest of the power will be dissipated as heat in the L298. Is that acceptable to you?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Look for a modern MOSFET bridge, by the time you add a heat sink, that big chip for each motor and the extra battery voltage to overcome the drop-out (as mentioned by Sarge above), your robot will be huge, heavy and dead slow.

trimbitassorin

Joined Jan 19, 2014
Do you realize that the L298 will drop in excess of 3.8v across itself when under a 2A load? This leaves only 2.2v at best for your motors. The rest of the power will be dissipated as heat in the L298. Is that acceptable to you?
No, I didn't know it is so bad and the motors will be probably a lot of time under 2A load. Thank you for pointing this out!

trimbitassorin

Joined Jan 19, 2014
Look for a modern MOSFET bridge, by the time you add a heat sink, that big chip for each motor and the extra battery voltage to overcome the drop-out (as mentioned by Sarge above), your robot will be huge, heavy and dead slow.
Can you please suggest one that doesn't require a lot of external components and it is suitable for my motors?

Thank you!

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
If you don't have a second voltage available (say 12V, able to supply 10mA or so on average) for the switching control of a FET bridge you would need 'logic-level' type FETs.

trimbitassorin

Joined Jan 19, 2014
If you don't have a second voltage available (say 12V, able to supply 10mA or so on average) for the switching control of a FET bridge you would need 'logic-level' type FETs.
I will have only the Arduino Mega (with a 7.2V supply going through a 5V regulator) and supply for motors (probably another 7.2V Li/ion battery pack).

tubeguy

Joined Nov 3, 2012
If you can live with relays to switch direction, a circuit using a single logic-level Mosfet to drive the motor is also possible. :)
Or can you possibly use a higher voltage battery for the motors?

Last edited: