DC motor control

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
Hi guys

How tell if a small DC motor is blocked?
And how do I hold the position of the motor at the blocked position?

The DC motor I am dealing with is a small 3V-6V brushed DC motor, like the one you can see in a small RC car.

The motor is likely to be controlled by a H-bridge.

Thanks

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
What is a blocked motor and blocked position ?

Timescope

hope my (hopeless) drawing will explain it better.

motor driving wheel -> wheel attached to rope -> rope attached to weight.

so the motor will pull the weight up, to the horizontal dash line, something will block the weight go any further. how do I detect that?

and how do I keep the motor at that position.

timescope

Joined Dec 14, 2011
A solenoid has a coil and a metal plunger that moves when current flows through the coil. This could be used as a brake to hold the mechanism at the desired position.

The current through a motor that is blocked will be much higher than the normal load current. You can tell if a motor is blocked by measuring the current through the motor.

A better method would be to use a sensor to detect the position of the weight and use it's signal to stop the motor and energize the brake.

Timescope

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
If the wheel had a toothed wheel attached, then a solenoid operated paul would require little power to hold. Sensor might be IR beam break. or a low value resistor in series with motor with comparator can give an adjustable current limit. Your drawing is worth 100 words.

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
Is there a way to hold the motor in position without mechanical means? will PWM the motor at a certain duty cycle work?

tubeguy

Joined Nov 3, 2012
Is there a way to hold the motor in position without mechanical means? will PWM the motor at a certain duty cycle work?
You could use two sensors set up to detect the desired stopped position only when they are both activated Then use a pwm circuit to hold the motor position. Additional sensors could be used to detect when its getting close to the desired position.

Will the motor be geared down ???