DC motor control

m.sabeeh

Joined Jun 26, 2010
i have 24VDC 13A motor. iw ant to change its rpm (~2900rpm) smoothly from lower to maximum. need some kind of controller. can i build it at home?. help :) advance thankx

JonHopper

Joined Jun 28, 2010
You can... however , PWM Motor Controllers are fairly cheap (60 - 100$) and have a lot of features that would take a long time to build at home.

If you wanna build it at home though, a simple power H Bridge and a PWM generator (microcontroller of some kind is the most popular) should do the trick.

Lots of application notes at microchip.com

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
A simple PWM controller will allow control of the motor speed; if reversing the motor is not required, an H-bridge is not needed.

[eta]

See the attached. Note that D2 (across the motor) needs to be rated for the motors' current.

Attachments

Last edited:

m.sabeeh

Joined Jun 26, 2010
ooops difficult to build. john hopper said that these are cheap and having many features. will anyone of u suggest some model of pwm that are cheap can handle maximum current and voltage. thnkx
i want some cheap and reliable kinda thing ;)

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Gee, my schematic is difficult? 15 parts isn't bad for as much functionality as you'll get.

You could replace the LM317 with a 7812. That would get rid of R1, R2, C2.

You don't absolutely have to have C5. It does make the circuit more stable though.

R5 could be eliminated, but it's a "safety valve" in case the 555 timer breaks, or you remove it from the circuit.

m.sabeeh

Joined Jun 26, 2010
ok will try to build that one. but as i said before, iwant u to suggest some ready-made model that can handle that amount of current and easily available in the market. if that are cheap then i will prefer to buy ;)