DC motor control help

jseaberg

Joined Oct 17, 2013
Ii have a 12 volt DC gear motor that is 30 amp. I have a electro-magnetic brake set up on the end of the motor. I have a 30 amp rated toggle switch operating my unit to control forward and reverse. When I get the unit spinning it creates inertia and produces current and keeps the brake energized after the toggle is returned to off position and it does not stop until it coasts to a stop. Can someone help me with a circuit that will stop my motor faster so my brake can do its job? I have very basic electrical skills.
Is there an easy way to do this? I have seen H-Bridge type motor controls on ebay, but do not know if you need some other controls to operate them.

Thanks for any help.

Jeff

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The Completed Projects Forum is for Completed Projects only. It is meant to allow members to show plans for projects they built so other members can duplicate them if desired. New threads are also automatically moderated per Moderator review for this reason. Your thread does not belong in this forum, and was moved here.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If the motor is operated at full rpm, no speed control, then all you need is appropriate DC relays, arc blow out etc.
Or you can replace the switch that will place a high wattage low value resistor across the motor at switch off that will brake the motor.
Why doesn't the brake stop the motor now, is it not strong enough or just not working for some reason?
Max.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Ii have a 12 volt DC gear motor that is 30 amp. I have a electro-magnetic brake set up on the end of the motor. I have a 30 amp rated toggle switch operating my unit to control forward and reverse. When I get the unit spinning it creates inertia and produces current and keeps the brake energized after the toggle is returned to off position and it does not stop until it coasts to a stop. Can someone help me with a circuit that will stop my motor faster so my brake can do its job? I have very basic electrical skills.
Is there an easy way to do this? I have seen H-Bridge type motor controls on ebay, but do not know if you need some other controls to operate them.

Thanks for any help.

Jeff
Are you trying to use your brake to stop the motor, or hold the motor once it comes to a stop on its own? or both? Please show how you have your switch, motor, and brake wired currently. The way I imagine you have it wired, could be remedied by using a switch with more poles; but I don't want to speak too soon. so please show us what you're working with.