DC ground

Corky

Joined May 13, 2010
Hello,

Hoping this isn't too stupid.

I'm running 115Vdc from a Harris turbine (micro-hydro generator similar to a Pelton wheel) 700' to a charge controller. The maximum amperage would be close to 12.

Instead of running two wires could I run one 'hot' wire to the charge controller and run the other to a ground rod on each end. I've been told I can't by people I like but I'm not sure if that's true or why. I"m using #6 copper stranded wire for one lead, and if I need the other it would be #1/0 Al.

Thanks for whatever attention you can give this.

Regards,
Corky

dsp_redux

Joined Apr 11, 2009
Hydro-Quebec uses something similar to this on it's distribution network and uses earth ground as a ground. It really depend on how you are equipped, and how you can make it safe enough to be conceivable. This can be quite hazardous.

jad69

Joined Jun 5, 2010
12 amps ... all the earthworms may get pissed, but likely you can do it. to measure resistance of ground put a 12 volt battery or source at one end with an amp meter in series, measure the voltage across the wires at each end, as precisely as you can ( not at the battery as the amp meter can have significant drop) then post the numbers and wire length and size and someonw will calculate the ground resistance for you.