dc generator not builing up

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Is it an auto dynamo, what happens when the field and dynamo output are connected together, it should self excite to full voltage?

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
Is the question referring to the failure of a self excited DC generator to self-excite with the output shorted. I would have thought that self-evident.

JDT

Joined Feb 12, 2009
This relies on some residual magnetism in the armature. If it hasn't been used for a while this may have faded away. I'm not an expert on this but I think you have to apply some current through the armature windings (by connecting a car battery) to re-magnetise.

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
This relies on some residual magnetism in the armature. If it hasn't been used for a while this may have faded away. I'm not an expert on this but I think you have to apply some current through the armature windings (by connecting a car battery) to re-magnetise.
...... and just make sure that the battery applies the current to the armature in the right direction, else you'll back to square one.

Ramesh

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I think it's the fields not the armature. In the old days we "flashed" the field terminal on the regulator when replacing a generator. Flashed meant to short between the battery and field connections. The fields are the 'magnet' and the armature is the power producer.