DC bias voltage vs DC voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

DexterMccoy

Joined Feb 19, 2014
What is the difference between a DC bias voltage and a DC voltage?

How do you know when looking at a schematic or when doing measurements on a circuit board that it's a DC bias voltage and not a DC voltage?

What circuits or stages of a circuit have you come across that use DC bias voltages? or needs a DC bias voltage to work?

I can't tell the difference and I don't know when a DC voltage is a bias voltage or it's just a regular DC voltage, how can you tell between the two?

BReeves

Joined Nov 24, 2012
Dexter... Looking to me like you are asking for a whole basic electronics course to be taught in one thread on an electronics forum. Maybe you need to go back to school then come ask specific questions when you have enough background to understand the answers.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
There is no difference between DC bias voltage and DC voltage.

Every voltage source has an impedance. The impedance will limit the amount of current you can draw from the voltage source.

Last edited:

DexterMccoy

Joined Feb 19, 2014
Thanks Mr.chips for making this thread for me

What circuits or stages "need" biasing? Besides amplifiers circuits

what else needs biasing?

biasing to a cutoff is for transistor switching?

Does a bias voltage cause the output of that stage to level shift?

The bias voltage changes the starting point or zero crossing point which is a level shift Change of the input which will level shift the output voltage?

Veracohr

Joined Jan 3, 2011
In a very general (electronic) sense, 'bias' can mean a voltage or current that is required to cause an active component to operate in an optimal manner. I can't imagine why one would want a bias point to fluctuate, because that would mean the component's parameters might fluctuate. Therefore, bias is pretty much always DC.

LvW

Joined Jun 13, 2013
A dc voltage can serve several different purposes (producing light or heat, running a motor, ...)
One of these possible purposes is to fix a certain operational point (bias point) on a non-linear transfer characteristic of a transistor. The corresponding dc voltage is called "bias voltage" (for BJT transistors app. 0.65...0.75 V).

DexterMccoy

Joined Feb 19, 2014
In electronic books they call a reference voltage a "bias voltage" like on voltage or current sensing comparators

The comparator will "compare" the input signal to the Bias voltage ( reference voltage ) , if it exceeds it or not

How is this a bias voltage?

LvW

Joined Jun 13, 2013
In electronic books they call a reference voltage a "bias voltage" like on voltage or current sensing comparators
The comparator will "compare" the input signal to the Bias voltage ( reference voltage ) , if it exceeds it or not
How is this a bias voltage?
It is called "bias voltage" because - in principle - it does the same as the classical transistor bias voltage: It fixes the quiescent dc point (dc voltage or dc current or both) which determines how the circuit will react upon any input signal (switching or amplyfing or...)

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
In general a bias voltage is a voltage imposed upon a component by external means. The component would naturally be at a different voltage if the bias was not present.

edit : you can also have bias currents.

You can apply a bias to both active and passive components. You can even apply it to circuits and entire equipment.

For example some signal/function generators have an output control called either bias voltage or offset voltage. This places the signal at a specific voltage above or below zero.

In your comparator one comparator input would not by iself be at the 'bias' voltage. This is set by components/circuit arrangements external to the comparator.

@Veracohr.

I can't imagine why one would want a bias point to fluctuate, because that would mean the component's parameters might fluctuate.
You should look up sliding bias amplifers.
(controlled) Variable bias is often used in temperature or other compensation circuits.

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Dexter/Billy, you may be getting hung up on semantics.

Bias, reference, offset, supply voltage can sometimes be used interchangeably.

For the purpose of this discussion, simply ignore any subtle differences and consider them all as voltage or current sources.

(I include current sources because it is simply a matter of paying attention to the impedance of the voltage source.)

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
In a comparator example, a reference voltage is an arbitrary voltage value decided by circuit requirements, this can be produced in a few ways, to 'bias', 'set' or otherwise cause the voltage to be biased at one value.
From my COD:
Bias: steady voltage, magnetic field, or other factor applied to a system or device to cause it to operate at a predetermined range or setting.
Max.

Status
Not open for further replies.