DC and Brushless motors

KansaiRobot

Joined Jan 15, 2010
Hello everybody and thanks for the help.

I have a new project in which I am working and would like to know the difference between DC and Brushless (brushless DC??) motors. Specially concerning how should I control them from a microcontroller.

In few words what is different about them?

Any push in the right direction would be very appreciated

Kansai

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Yes, it is for brushed ("blashed") motors. You need to give more information about your application and motor size before much more advice can be given. Why have you decided against brushless motors?

John

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Brushless motors typically don't have the surge and torque from a standstill. In the combat robotics club I was in the guys with the big machines talked about a stall current of 500A until it started moving, but the torque was equivalent to the power consumed.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Nice post, Bill.

Brushless DC motors have dominated PC fans for the last decade or so. It's a near-perfect application, as fans usually have a very light starting load; just the weight of the fan rotor/blades itself. The load increases as the motor speed increases, which is a very good match for a BLDC.

KansaiRobot

Joined Jan 15, 2010
Yes, it is for brushed ("blashed") motors. You need to give more information about your application and motor size before much more advice can be given. Why have you decided against brushless motors?

John
Well, I know it is not a good reason but basically because I have understood H-bridges and connecting it to a DC Motor. Although I understand the "theory" behind brushless motors, I cant find a good source on how to control these.

the motor I am thinking on using is a small DC motor for pumping. 25mmx 31 mm with a drive voltage of 6~12V. basically i want to control the amoung of discharge pressure the motor generates.

I have the option to use a brushless motor of similar characteristics but as I said I havent found a way to control it.