datasheets

tibbles

Joined Jun 27, 2008
i have noticed on many occasions that downloaded documents particularly data sheets only fill half the page when opened in adobe reader, has anyone found a way of avoiding this when printing.
adobe reader does try and fit to page but i think it sees the blank areas as part of the picture,
as a confirmed old codger it is the eyes that go first so i do have my trusty magnifying glass.
regards
dougal

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I have not had that problem with printing. What version of Adobe are you using? Do you go through the regular print dialog or use something else? Do you have ad and pop-up blockers enabled that might give blank spaces?

For some sites (e.g, Alldatasheet), I have found it helpful simply to save to a temp file, then open that file off line. That way, you can get the full page without all of the ad space and multiple windows/scroll bars. John (another oldie who prefers full screen, so I don't need my readers)

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Hi dougal, I too have not come across issues with printing although I have with displaying on screen. Thankfully since I upgraded to v.8 of Adobe reader I have had no such issues in this regard.

Can I ask does the printing error occur when you save the PDF to disk? (Viewing the PDF in a web browser and then printing may introduce some quirks).

Dave

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Hi Dougal,
I don't normally try to print Adobe Reader documents when viewing them online. I almost always save them to my HDD first. I also don't normally print out the entire document, as I would wind up with huge stacks of printouts that would force me to move to a larger home. :eek:

I've had some problems in the past, but updating to Acrobat Reader 8 solved that. It's a good idea to uninstall older versions before installing the newer version. I had to install Reader 8 twice before it installed properly.

Datasheets tend to evolve over time. If I'm planning a new project, I go to the manufacturer's site to get the latest updates for the datasheet, and in particular to find out if the item is planned for obsolescence (ie: "lifetime buy" in effect)

I find http://www.alldatasheet.com quite handy in locating multiple manufacturers for a particular IC, but before I'll seriously contemplate using them in a design, I'll download the most current datasheet from the manufacturer's site.

Printing is expensive, and generally wasteful.

tibbles

Joined Jun 27, 2008
hi all thanks for replies
i'm on adobe acrobat 8 which is good, i think you can select and enlarge a chosen area..
and as sgnt wookie says some are 20 pages long although it is sometimes useful to print a couple of pages.
i think as well, im going back to the nineties for some stuff when some data sheets wern't brilliant
i will have a play tomorrow and get back
thanks again
dougal