Data Sheet Grammar

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Strunk does not cover this.

a) That information is *in* the datasheet. The circuit is *in* the datasheet.

b) The details are *on* the datasheet. The circuit is *on* the datasheet.

???

ak

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
Sounds like the difference between a single sheet or a multiple sheet datasheet.

In = multiple sheets.

On = single sheet.

Who knows...who cares.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
"in the datasheet"
"on the datasheet"

It makes very little difference. "Datasheet" or "datasheets" can also refer to a document. Any reader can understand what it means. Don't lose sleep over it.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
You can think of a datasheet as an object that contains things, in which case something is "in" the datasheet, or you can think of a datasheet as pieces of paper "on" which things are written.

Since there is almost zero chance for miscommunication, even if both viewpoints were to be used in the same sentence, there is very little motivation for people to care about it. We also talk about a food dish being "in" the menu or "on" the menu. If you are writing something, my recommendation would be to adopt a viewpoint and then use it consistently. Personally, I think that the "in" viewpoint is more natural and consistent with how we generally describe other written instruments. We don't talk about a topic being discussed on a book, but rather in a book.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
It's usually on a page but in a book.
. . .but is it possible to have a multiple page datasheet?
I've seldom seen single-page data sheets and have seen many thousand-page data sheets, and also data sheets that were bound books.

On a related grammar note, I've wondered whether it should be "datasheet" or "data sheet" and have found nothing definitive, but it appears that "data sheet" has traditionally been considered the more "correct" form but that the single-word form is likely to become the norm in the future. I find myself naturally wanting to use "datasheet", but usually consciously changing it to "data sheet" in an effort to be 'correct'. Probably pointless and also probably underscores why 'datasheet' is becoming the norm. Again, I would argue that internal consistency is the more-useful thing in this regard.

k1ng 1337

Joined Sep 11, 2020
In sounds proper to me because the datasheet (an array of data?) is the information not the medium. The information of interest is nested somewhere within (notice in within within, coincidence!?)

Where is the datasheet? On a computer screen or on a piece of paper.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
OED says data sheet is a compound noun, and it has a space in it. The term was first used in 1890.
Words and conventions change and evolve. It is my current understanding and observation that a shift is occurring from "data sheet" to "datasheet". This has happened many times throughout history. I had an English teach in junior high that showed us several examples of old texts in which compound nouns had spaces that we would rarely, if ever, see today. The example I particularly stuck was "light house" which became, of course, "lighthouse". I expect this to become more pronounced in the age of search engines in which separated words are less able to return the narrower results that can be obtained with combined words.

k1ng 1337

Joined Sep 11, 2020
Words and conventions change and evolve. It is my current understanding and observation that a shift is occurring from "data sheet" to "datasheet". This has happened many times throughout history. I had an English teach in junior high that showed us several examples of old texts in which compound nouns had spaces that we would rarely, if ever, see today. The example I particularly stuck was "light house" which became, of course, "lighthouse". I expect this to become more pronounced in the age of search engines in which separated words are less able to return the narrower results that can be obtained with combined words.
Considering I've never handled a physical datasheet, the sheet part of the word is an arciac misrepresentation. I like data-sheet myself because it implies some data is on a sheet whereas datasheet and data sheet reference independent nouns. My brains hurts.