data please

logmode

Joined Sep 5, 2011
Hello,
I bought- SWITCHING POWER SUPPLY Fsp n. america. #FSP60-11 Input: 100-240V 2A 50/60Hz Output: 24Vdc, 2.5A (60W max). I can't find a data sheet on it. anyone know where i can?

Last edited:

logmode

Joined Sep 5, 2011
Hello,
Thanks for your effort. Ya I found that too and a bit more of nothing. But that’s ok. Only paid 15 bucks.
Never had or used a switch power supply. Thought I would give it a try. I read something about a noise problem they have. I am still looking for info on them; don’t understand what it’s called a switch, but I will. One question- can I turn it on without a load on the output?

Thank you so much

logmode

chrisw1990

Joined Oct 22, 2011
yeh, of course! youll find the output will oscillate a little, a switched mode power supply.. is basically PWM, with a low pass filter? this makes it a dc signal... in essence anyway. the low pass filter includes capacitor, diode and inductor and is quite a complex thing to get right! i have implemented one here, the output oscillates but it was a pig.. and still is!
a switched mode power supply is a lot more efficient than a linear regulator.. some quoted linear regulators are maybe 60% efficient tops.. (from what iv seen) and usually less than that with prolonged use due to heat etc.. with switched mode power supplies, the efficiencies can reach 98%! and can have a higher output current with little effect on input current..
maybe to get started, have a look at the national semiconductor software "WebBench" theyre now owned by Texas instruments but it should work still...
put in some example values, and have a look, you can get thermal simulations, as well as a ltspice model style simulation, so you can see whats going on, your power supply will be just like that but have some mains stuff, and more filtering, so it passes electromagnetic compatibility tests (EMC)