Data Logger help

stevy123

Joined Nov 19, 2007
Hi All

I am currently building a transmitter reciever circuit using a ER900TS transmitter and a ER900RS reciver module.

The data which is being sent is just a pulse train but when i am hoping for it to be co-ordinates when i replace my 555 timer and put my actual circuitry in.

I am looking some advice on how to store the information when i recive it with the ER900RS.

Anyone got any ideas for a schematic for this?

Many thanks
Stephen

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Did you see Figure 11 in the datasheet, in the application notes?

Build that circuit, then write an RS-232 logging application for your PC.

stevy123

Joined Nov 19, 2007
Hi SgtWookie

Thank you for your reply, ive looked at that circuit in figure 11 and will give that ago. When you say build a data logging aplication on the pc, how would i go about that?

Many thanks
Stephen

stevy123

Joined Nov 19, 2007
Also on the diagram there are some polarised capacitors which sizes are not stated, what value would you choose for them? I have been looking on my local electronics store and is a MAX3232CPE the same as a max232?

thanks

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Hi SgtWookie

Thank you for your reply, ive looked at that circuit in figure 11 and will give that ago. When you say build a data logging aplication on the pc, how would i go about that?

Many thanks
Stephen
You would either need to write a software program in the language of your choice, or obtain one from somewhere. How you go about that is up to you.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Also on the diagram there are some polarised capacitors which sizes are not stated, what value would you choose for them? I have been looking on my local electronics store and is a MAX3232CPE the same as a max232?

thanks

The polarized capacitor on the input to the Vreg would depend upon how long the wire was between the voltage supply, and how noisy that supply was. But, anywhere between 10uF and 22,000uF would likely work fine. For the output polarized cap, pick one between 1uF and 100uF. The shorter your wires are, the smaller the cap you'll need to use.

Note that the voltage rating of electrolytic caps should be twice (or more) the voltage that you expect on that wire.

You could use a MAX3232 instead of a MAX232. Read the datasheet, and make sure you get the connections right.

stevy123

Joined Nov 19, 2007
Hi

Thanks for your reply, i have just built the circuit, was wondering is it possible for me to connect and led between the data in and the +5 volts line to allow a visual aid of when information is being revieved? So put a led and about a 400ohm resistor between it to do this?

Would that work?

Regards
Stephen