Dangerous Chinese LEDs?

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
I have been trying to learn everything I can about LEDs, and was wondering what you Experts think about the validity of this claim, about the dangers of this particular bulb.
It looks OK to me......:D

They have some conflicting comments about the voltage and insulation properties of this bulb.......any thoughts?:confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keaE7QTKTYE

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
From my personal experience, expecting any electrical equipment coming out of China to be 'Electrically safe' and conforming to local or national standards is pot luck.
I have seen some instances which were positively lethal.
I believe this is a people that have never had standards, so they are learning on the fly!
Max.

paulktreg

Joined Jun 2, 2008
The only standard they have is the one you give them! You want something manufacturing to a particular standard, it's yours, otherwise you take a gamble.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I think items sold by companies like Apple, GE, Sony, Dell... who design items and specify everything and assume LIABILITY and are willing to RECALL items that prove to be poor designs, are ok if made in China. Other products like discount lightbulbs bought on eBay direct from china with no brand name company or retailer like Walmart, Target, ... to stand behind them and accept liability, those are not ok. Even the ones from eBay with fake UL listing logos are not ok.

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
The only standard they have is the one you give them! You want something manufacturing to a particular standard, it's yours, otherwise you take a gamble.
One would think after awhile the Chinese captains of industry would understand what a standard even was, and make some kind of effort to extrapolate what standards a particular mfgr. wants, into a suitable standards system of their own...
If that were the case, more potential customers of their products just might develop more trust in their products, and not [ have to ] sound racist by saying anything / everything Chinese is inherently naught but Junk, which for the time being, it is....

Yes, you are right ... I am an idealistic dreamer...:D I live by my signature...

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012

Yes, we know all that.;)

What I wanted to know was, what about THIS bulb?

"..conflicting comments about the voltage and insulation properties of this bulb".

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
QUOTE=Metalmann;645578]
"..conflicting comments about the voltage and insulation properties of this bulb".[/QUOTE]

Definitely dangerous IMO, some of the answers to the video were from people who were clueless, to put it bluntly.
Apart from the fact the polarity could be reversed if reassembling it, in the UK the lamp fixture is Bayonet cap, rather then Edison Screw used in N.A.
This means that in the UK, not only can you reverse the Hot when reassembling it, it can happen when depending on the way you put the lamp in the socket, the lamp has a bottom contact for both live and N.
It is not isolated and can definitely pose a safety hazard.
I can't seeing it pass CSA approval.
Max.

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Evidentally the UK have modified their Bayonet cap to an offset style to take the later type lamps, but the rest applies.
When I left, incandescent was the norm!
Max.

uknn

Joined May 6, 2013
Just the 50/50 chance of an exposed 230v contact on the front of it is pretty frightening!

But then if people buy on eBay from China for a fraction of the price you'd pay on the high street and don't ask *why* it's a fraction of the price....

vk6zgo

Joined Jul 21, 2012
Yes, we know all that.;)

What I wanted to know was, what about THIS bulb?

"..conflicting comments about the voltage and insulation properties of this bulb".
Don't go within a bull's roar of it!!

The possibility of swapover of Active & Neutral isn't dependent on how you fit the adaptor,it is inherent in the non polarised 2 pin connector on the lamp itself.

Strangely,it looks like a downlight" which is commonly used in Australia,but they all have transformer isolation,either at 50Hz,or via a SMPS,& run at lower voltages.

AFAIK,all the LED lightbulbs in Oz are fully insulated,with no bare metal exposed.