Dang all Computers!

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
OK, so my main machine died last week. I broke out my kids old one and was using it until it decided to go south a couple of days ago. Going through the parts one by one, nothing worked. It lit up and seemed to be OK on power, but no boot beeps, so as a last resorts (after testing memory, CPU, and video card on another machine and swapping with a spare MB, I keep spares) I tried a known good power supply. That didn't work either, but it didn't work differently, the computer would start to power up and power down in under a split second. I still have to isolate it, but it appears one of my many fans (I'm very paranoid about cooling) has shorted. OK, so now I've trouble shot the temporary machine, and have to work on my personal one eventually.

It's the reason I've been a bit scarce lately. The spare machine is currently laying on it's side on top of mine. Sheesh.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I had a hard-drive last week (me being clumsy!) - my we are all in the wars!

At least you had a back-up machine Bill.

Dave

Capt-Killjoy

Joined Sep 29, 2008
God how I hate it when my computer crashes too. But, as stated in another post, at least you had a back up to use. My back-up is an old HP with a 786 processor in it. I can almost accomplish as much if not more than it can on it's best day! Good luck with your repairs!:)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Being a natural packrat, I never throw anything like parts. I have several C64's, 128's, 286's, 386SX's, 386's, 486's, K6's,K6/2's, enough parts to build a second BBS computer (I like my BBS), and enough parts to use all of the above MB and processors.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Seems like a lot of unexpected computer failure by members,
it sounds a lot like the global economy.Are the post going to
follow the market.A good time to look at repair business.
Maybe not no parts on market. Who has the best anwser
or opinions.

chrissyp

Joined Aug 25, 2008
Hi
When my computer tower died(fortunately i had data backed up).My cheap solution to my problem was to look on Ebay and i bought very cheap a laptop with a broken screen.Hooked it up to my monitor via its serial port,I now have a fairly fast computer with all the usb ethernet ports etc, a good size hard drive for a fraction of the cost of replacing the tower.A bonus is it takes up less space than the tower. happy days.If you are going to try and do the above look for a laptop that will be very expensive to replace the screen because they usually sell cheap.