Damping audio transformer, secondary side ringing?

electronice123

Joined Oct 10, 2008
I have an audio transformer which is ringing on the secondary side. It is the coil itself ringing with it's own capacitance. The secondary coil has a HV so I couldn't use a typical resistor to damp the ringing.

Can I damp the ringing by adding a resistor to the primary coil?

Would I need to put it in series, or parallel with the primary coil?

Thanks

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
If this is a high ratio step up transformer, leakage inductance may limit the degree to which the secondary can be damped from the primary.

Is this an audio amplifier, or something like a flyback voltage converter? I would second the request for a schematic.

electronice123

Joined Oct 10, 2008
It's not a transformer I need to get to work or anything....Just something I was playing around with the other day and it made me wonder....

I was just wanting to know if you could damp the secondary side of a transformer by adding resistance to the primary coil?

Would you place the resistance in series, or parallel with the coil?

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
Damping resistors (or other snubbing circuits) are most usually put in parallel with the winding. This may result in less loss, as the drive signal and any DC current will not need to pass through it. The damping effect of a parallel resistor will be more effective in a fairly high-impedance drive circuit - series resistors might be more effective if the driving impedance is low.

A parallel damping resistance will also be reflected directly as an impedance from the primary to the secondary - NB with a value changed by the square of the turns ratio.