DA cards

gotumal

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Dear reader,

I have four analog lines with 0 to 10V. I am looking for a data aqusition card with 4 analogue channels with 16 bit and 2000 sample per sec. Interface could be a USB or PCI. I am looking for a very cost effective solution. Analogue output, digital IOs, counter is not needed. But unfortunately all card comes with it.

NI is too much costly. I found Advantech a better one (PCI-1716-AE).

Does anybody have experience of using any other cheap DA card?

Thanks in advance.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Dear reader,

I have four analog lines with 0 to 10V. I am looking for a data aqusition card with 4 analogue channels with 16 bit and 2000 sample per sec. Interface could be a USB or PCI. I am looking for a very cost effective solution. Analogue output, digital IOs, counter is not needed. But unfortunately all card comes with it.

NI is too much costly. I found Advantech a better one (PCI-1716-AE).

Does anybody have experience of using any other cheap DA card?

Thanks in advance.
Have you tried Keithley/ Metrabyte? They used to be a bit cheaper than NI, but that was years ago.

I have never figured out WHY DAQ cards are so expensive. They seem to be the only hardware that hasn't dropped preciptiously in cost along with the rest of computer technology. :mad:

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
I don't think cheap and 16 bits go together very well. That degree of precision in the conversion needs expensive signal conditioning to function satisfactorily.

The USB devices are less expensive than the cards. The crazy thing is that you might find 24 bit audio converters are good enough and cheaper - just mask off the lower bits. Sample rate will be fixed, and they may only have 2 channels on the down side.

gotumal

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Thanks All for replies.

@beenthere: Using audio codec is relly a very good idea. They are cheap probably because of their huge vollume. I remember the incidat when we wante to have a SMPS modue for ±5, ±12V. It was costing more than the ATX SMPS PC models along with the casing. So we bought (though it was overkill as far as required output is concerned) and used only required part.

I compared nearly 20 different manufactueres, but still feel Advantech the best option. I am wondering why NI cards have poor performance to cost ratio, though they are leaders in that segment. May be because of brand name, support, drivers etc.

Anyways, Danke!