CV advices needed for an embedded software role

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
Hi team,

After some playing around, I think I like to develop a career in embedded software. So I am writing a CV here now, just wondering what should I put in my CV. I mean, I have written quite a few firmware, but I am not sure what to put on my CV.

Eg should I put in LOC for each firmware I have developed? Compilers used? And what else?

Thanks guys!

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
To many people, a CV and Resume are quite different. A CV often lists everything -- i.e., it's your life's story. A Resume is more job focused and typically is much shorter and lists only pertinent accomplishments. Which is it?

So, if you really mean CV, list everything. Local universities often have a format one should follow or there are other formats on the web.

Edit: Let's see if this link to the University of Pittsburgh's CV format works: https://www.google.com/search?q=uni....0.0j69i57.20161j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
That link gives several sources. Maybe this one is more focused:
http://labs.mmg.pitt.edu/sarkar/PDFs/Sarkar CV SOM Format.pdf

Last edited:

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
To many people, a CV and Resume are quite different. A CV often lists everything -- i.e., it's your life's story. A Resume is more job focused and typically is much shorter and lists only pertinent accomplishments. Which is it?

So, if you really mean CV, list everything. Local universities often have a format one should follow or there are other formats on the web.
I mean the section where I put my project examples.

Eg:
Projects Example:

Project A.
What the project does blah balh blah...
How many lines of code.
What compiler used
What architect/MCU
What peripherals used
What protocal used?
What algorithm used??
What digital filters used?

Project B
blah ...
blah ...

The above example is just something I THINK (not necessary true) it will be useful. But I would like to get some suggestions from someone who has sit on the other side of the table, what would you look for?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
When I sat "on the other side of the table," I saw such extensive lists with a little suspicion and always asked for details to decide whether it was only a list that looked good or something of substance actually done by the applicant. More often than not, it was quite easy to see through.

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
When I sat "on the other side of the table," I saw such extensive lists with a little suspicion and always asked for details to decide whether it was only a list that looked good or something of substance actually done by the applicant. More often than not, it was quite easy to see through.
So what sort of info you want to see to trigger you to ask for details, the projects that will be listed are the projects that I actually done. I believe the project I have actually done (I work on both hardware and firmware) are relatively simple. I would like to leverage of my past experience and get a role in embedded firmware development only.

Any advice/suggestion?

Zeeus

Joined Apr 17, 2019
So what sort of info you want to see to trigger you to ask for details, the projects that will be listed are the projects that I actually done. I believe the project I have actually done (I work on both hardware and firmware) are relatively simple. I would like to leverage of my past experience and get a role in embedded firmware development only.

Any advice/suggestion?
Mind sharing the CV to see?;)

"The more I learn, the more I don't know." 1 like for you

learned something today? studied?

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
Edit: Let's see if this link to the University of Pittsburgh's CV format works: https://www.google.com/search?q=uni....0.0j69i57.20161j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
That link gives several sources. Maybe this one is more focused:
http://labs.mmg.pitt.edu/sarkar/PDFs/Sarkar CV SOM Format.pdf
Just saw this links, they look great!

Properly not suitable for me, as I don't have a long list of academic background, or research roles. I only have a list of projects that I have done to show.

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
Mind sharing the CV to see?;)

"The more I learn, the more I don't know." 1 like for you

learned something today? studied?
I am happy to send it to you (or anyone) privately. Properly don't want to list it here in a public domain for everyone to see.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Everyone starts somewhere. When you list a project, be sure to describe the results you got. Your interviewer will probably ask your rational at various steps. Be sure you can explain the "whys" you did something. Be prepared to address alternatives the interviewer will present to you. At that moment, you will be considered an expert in whatever the project entailed and should be able to address the details.

You mention that you are still a student. Have you had to stand before a board of professors and defend your work? Our boards were anywhere from four professors for preliminary steps to the whole department for the final degree. If that went well, then the interview should go well too. Be prepared to extrapolate your work to a more generalized problem.

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
You mention that you are still a student. Have you had to stand before a board of professors and defend your work? Our boards were anywhere from four professors for preliminary steps to the whole department for the final degree. If that went well, then the interview should go well too. Be prepared to extrapolate your work to a more generalized problem.
I have been working for a few years now, but I like to remind myself I am still a student, as there is always someone know something better than me. I think this mentality serve me well so far, as I can keep learning.

Actually, I just came back from an interview, the feedback I was given was my experience was not relevant to an embedded software role. So my plan is to rewrite my CV to with emphasis on the firmware I have done. Hence my post here.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Here's just some food for thought -- I'm shooting from the hip here.

I would pick one or two projects -- so pick the ones that you think showcase your abilities the most -- and include a brief synopsis on your Resume/CV. I would not let them go more than a couple of inches each. Give a brief description of the application, including any challenging specifications. Then give a brief description of your solution, emphasizing any elements you want to highlight. Don't overwhelm with them with minutia. When they are reviewing applications, they aren't in a detail-oriented mindset and if you give them a bunch of in-the-weeds details they will gloss over them. Instead, give them something short that brings immediately to their mind -- "Hey, that's an interesting solution to a tricky problem. I'd like to find out more about how they did that." If you accomplish that, then the way that they find out more about how you did that is to bring you in for an interview.