Custom push button with an illuminated symbol like car's dash buttons

flyzepp

Joined Jan 17, 2016
Hi,

I'm building a home media system based on few raspberries and so on. For it I need a neat panel with illuminated buttons like play, pause, f.f, media source, volume up/down etc. These buttons are very common in audio/video appliances both in home but also in cars. It would be ideal if these buttons are also illuminated just like car buttons glow at dark.

Do you know where I could buy such buttons? I was searching in google for something similar but found nothing :(

Thanks!

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
Many manufacturers of illuminated pushbutton switches offer models that can have a legend plate installed under the button cap.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Depends on your resources. Tactile switches have a nice feel, and when coupled with good machining or 3D printer, make excellent front panel switches. Add LEDs to that and you are where you want to be.

There are switches that you can remove a plate and put graphics under them that are illuminated. They tend to be flimsy, but look rather cool. They are available from most industrial outlets such as Granger.

What do you have available?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Look at industrial control switch suppliers such as Idec etc, many makes out there, they are small square illuminated buttons with many different switching features that allow you to print your own legend on if needed as @KJ6EAD says.
Max.

flyzepp

Joined Jan 17, 2016
Hi,

thanks for replies and advises!

After some more research it appeared that what I need is laser etched button caps. So I checked a nearby laser shop, which I primarily used for metal sheet cutting. The guys were pretty confident they could do both the proper coating and then etching of the button caps.

So I'll give it a try:)