Custom DC lighting project

Melvang

Joined Oct 17, 2013
Alright guys here are a couple quick details relating to this build. This is for a custom keyboard for my PC that I am building from the ground up. Including case (milled myself from plate stainless steel), hardwired matrix to Teensy 2.0, and my own layout. If anyone is interested in more details on it my build log can be found here over at www.geekhack.org.

For the lighting I am planning on relocating the HDD activity LED to under the ESC key from the case. I have already done this but the interesting part is yet to come. I am also planning on adding a pair of 12" CCFL and a pair of 4" CCFL lights to the keyboard case under the switch plate. Where I am running into issues here is I want the CCFL lights to flash as the HDD activity and the LED under my ESC key to go steady when I flip the toggle switch for the function layer where my Media controls are going to be.

Now first off I will say I am not an electronics guy but I understand some basics. Keyword here basics. The toggle switch is a standard illuminated SPST toggle switch with a separate set of poles for the LED. The good thing here is the LED in the switch and the LED that is going under the ESC key and the output from the motherboard pins for HDD activity are all in the same range of ~3.2 volts. As you guys probably know the CCFLs have an inverter that requires 12 volts input for full brightness (not interested in dimming). I am attaching a pic of the prototype schematic that I have come up with.

Keep in mind there are probably errors and stuff that is just plain wrong. Corrections and suggested directions are very much appreciated. Also I realize I could probably do this via the Teensy controller but I want to stay away from controlling this with software as much as possible. I am going to have enough of a hard time writing the firmware for this layout as it is.

Attachments