custom car security system need help

wet

Joined Nov 5, 2013
I am making a trunk open detection alarm that will detect that the trunk of my car is opend by using a photocell to capture the light from the dome light of the trunk when it is opend.

How would I go about soldering a circuit that would somehow activate a switch that would complete the circuit from a 12v line, triggering the alarm when the photocell is sending voltage.

the green box is where i need assistance

Last edited:

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Assuming this thread isn't closed,Why not just put a microswitch on the trunk body, so when the trunk is open it activates!

Joined Nov 30, 2010
There are better ways than to modify the car wiring, like a microswitch on the hinge or a mercury bulb or a rolling ball switch. Besides, modifying cars is not allowed at this site.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Maybe OP chose to do it this way because he/she knew the rules, and knew that the only way this discussion would be allowed to stay open is if there were no tampering with the car's electrical system; hence the detection of light - need not electrically interface with chassis wiring. Doubtful, I know, just playing devils advocate.