Custom "Bag of Parts" supplier?

BackyardBrains

Joined Aug 26, 2010
I like to make kits available for people to build themselves. We make the kits by hand. But counting resistors and capacitors by hand has been very error-prone and time consuming.

Is there any service out there that will take a list of components (your BOM) and send the parts in sealed bags for you? Or at least just the capacitors and resistors. I've searched around everywhere, but haven't found anyone that does this.

I remember seeing some kits that had all the resistors for the project (multiple values) on 1 ribbon. How are they doing this?

Thanks!

Greg

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Are you prepared for a X10 to X100 markup?

Parts are cheap, labor is expensive.

There is a reason such a service is hard to find.

I created a kit of resistors that cost me around $40. The cost of the resistor was 2¢ each. It took me 10 or so trips to the local mom/pop electronics store to create it, because it was time consuming. I now have a complete kit of ¼W 5% resistors though.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Digi-key puts their parts in anti static bags for me when I order from them. You could just make order after order for the same list and get a bagful of bags. The bags have the part number on them, along with a field you can specify (like the reference designation).

You would be paying the 1x price but getting the bags you wish.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
That is a valid point, one I with I had said first.

You are not going to get any deep discounts, but it fits the bill.