current transformer connections

ibegbu_e

Joined Nov 8, 2009
Can anyone help me,
I intend to connect 3 CTs in series. These 3 CTs are connected on a 3 phase AC lines. My aim is to connect all CTs together and rectify the output which I will connect to analog/digital converter to be able to monitor voltage drops on the lines.
Is this configuration possible. Do I connect the CTs in series of paralell. Do I rectify the outputs of the CTs individually and connect the DC outputs in series.
Thanks

JDT

Joined Feb 12, 2009
If I understand you correctly, you are going to have a current transformer on each phase of a three-phase supply.

You cannot connect the three secondaries in series or parallel. Each secondary must be separately loaded with a low resistance (usually only a few ohms). The secondary of the current transformer must always be loaded - or shorted. Otherwise high voltages can be developed across the open secondary.

A small voltage is developed across this resistance which is normally amplified and then rectified to produce a DC voltage that is proportional to the AC current. You can, if you want, add these DC voltages to produce a DC voltage that is proportional to the total current in all three primaries (the phases).

I don't understand how you can use this to measure the voltage drop on the lines. Please explain more.

ibegbu_e

Joined Nov 8, 2009
Thanks JDT
This answers all my question completely. Thanks you.
About measuring voltage drop was posted in error
The only thing I do not understand it the connection of resistor. Do you mean I should connect this accross the terminal of each CT
Thanks

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
The manufacturer of your current transformers will have data about sizing the scaling resistors for a predictable response. But, yes, those resistors do get connected across each CT.